Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

GRHE vs Birds Nest vs all the other look likes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fly Willy

Fly Willy

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Ok so I was wondering, what do you guys use? Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, Birds Nest, Guides GRHE, Soft Hackles, March Brown Nymphs......

They all look similar, I have been trying out a few with no significantly different results. What have you decided on, why do you think it works for you?

If you could, let us know where you live. There is probably regional preferences.

Thanks
Billy
Any day on the water is better than one at my vise, and I love tying flies.

#2 oldriverman

oldriverman

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Ok so I was wondering, what do you guys use? Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, Birds Nest, Guides GRHE, Soft Hackles, March Brown Nymphs......

They all look similar, I have been trying out a few with no significantly different results. What have you decided on, why do you think it works for you?

If you could, let us know where you live. There is probably regional preferences.

Thanks
Billy

I like a lighter colored version of the hare's ear--sort of a tan/brown/yellow mix. I also like a black & white version because I think the color contrast is extremely visible. I live in Colorado, but I'v seen naturals in all kinds of colors.

However, I think nothing beats a good presentation!

#3 oldtrout58

oldtrout58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ralph.

http://flyline.com/f...phs/birds_nest/

#4 SUPER FLY

SUPER FLY

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

I prefer the gold ribbed hares ear...maybe a small flashback thrown in. I have only tried the hares ear...march brown...march brown spider...and soft hackle. Imo...i like it best for its natural look and presentation. I live in long island NY, and rght now have really only been fishing that with great success.

Good luck...tight lines!

#5 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't fish for trout in my area, no trout streams but I've have great success with the Hares Ear, Possie bugger and Birds nest fishing for our local panfish & smallies. I recently found found a pattern called the "Double Standard" which looks like another great pattern to try out. I guess it really comes down to personal preference and most important ... what the fish like :) I've seen so many variations of the HE & PT nymphs which tells me these are just good all around patterns to have in the box.

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#6 H.Champagne

H.Champagne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

......hare's ear WITH soft hackle! muhahaha, just kidding. Yea i throw some wispy soft hackle or CDC on my hare's ear and it makes it extra buggy and i feel like it works really well. read about it in a john gierach book and decided to try it.
-Harold James Champagne II

"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them." John Gierach

KAMIKAZE fly tying

#7 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:30 AM

I like the hare's ear and also tie up some of Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel nymphs.

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#8 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

The BIRD'S NEST pattern is somewhat different than the Hare;s ear, GHRE, or March Brown...a variation, developed for the Eastern Sierras, called the Assassin has become very effective on waters I regularly visit - see below and scroll down:

http://www.sierradrifters.com/fish.htm

The recipe for the Assassin may be located HERE:

http://stevenojai.tr...om/birdnest.htm

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#9 Gig

Gig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

My variant of a GRHE. I tie them in size #14 and #16 and they work for me :)

Posted Image

#10 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Nice and buggy, just the way I like 'em.

#11 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

For nymphs I like the GRHE, and for dry's a Hare's Ear Parachute. Also use a lot of Hare's Ear Soft Hackles.
Can't beat Hare's Ear for bugginess.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold