Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JOAT

My recent beginner fly work

As stated in my intro, I've only been back into tying for the last couple months (not having done anything since the early 80's). So it's been a lot of trial and try again. Here is what I've churned out in the last couple weeks. A pile of large streamers with salmon and possibly pike in mind. And a variety of more traditional flies that have been the fruits of viewing patterns online and giving various things a try, most often with my own twists coming into play rather than a strict hold to the pattern.

post-38693-0-15383100-1327478801_thumb.png

post-38693-0-65616900-1327478818_thumb.png

Thanks for the vote of confidence. B)

I've dropped a couple Benjamin's at Sportsman's Warehouse in the last couple months to build up a basic supply of materials. And just a week ago I was walking through Wal-Mart and saw that they had everything in their fly tying section on a "red tag" clearance sale (looks like they're probably dropping their fly tying lineup). So naturally, I grabbed at least one of everything on the shelf. Now that I've worked through a few patterns from the books, online pattern sources, and watching a few videos online, I'm getting the hang of many of the basic concepts. So, knowing that critters like salmon and pike will pretty much attack anything that's bright and flashy, I've just been playing with putting a hook in the vice and then grabbing a handful of various materials and letting my inner "artiste" take over. It's been pretty fun!

Joat,

I wish I could take that much time off and still be able to tye like that. Great looking flys my friend! The only problem I see is: You have them and I don't LOL. Cheers to ya

Not quite as satisfied this week, though I didn't spend nearly as much time at the vice.

I still really like this shrimp inspired pattern from last week...

post-38693-0-82374200-1327900229_thumb.jpg

And then I gave a shot at my first parachute, which turned out alright...

post-38693-0-21624400-1327900252_thumb.jpg

Frustration during this attempt at... whatever it was supposed to be. Couldn't get the collar hackle to lay right due to too much taper on the underlying section, so I ended up just tossing the hackle aside after much struggle and grabbed the whip finisher to end it. Will have to work on getting the hackle that is supposed to run back into the wing with a couple fibers extending forward. That was a difficult task and just wouldn't lay down right for me.

post-38693-0-17746200-1327900312_thumb.jpg

Having never messed with a dubbing loop, I built a loop tool after watching a couple videos online and made a thick rabbit hair dubbing body after tying on a bit of tinsel rib and a peacock herl tip for a "tail"... just for fun. Had no clear direction that I was heading as I was just experimenting with the dubbing loop method, so after playing with that and wrapping up the rib, I just randomly grabbed a bit of lime green malabou and finished it off. Heck, it might even catch a fish. I think I'll try it out ice fishing this week.

post-38693-0-82901000-1327900555_thumb.jpg

I tried playing with a scud layout. I don't have any latex to make a proper back, but I had some chamois strips and used one just to play with the method. The hackle was a bit too big, I think. But the concept isn't too complicated.

post-38693-0-46965400-1327900766_thumb.jpg

Finally, I tried playing with some foam (my first attempt). I had no real final design and just cut out an ant-like foam shape the length of the hook shank. I use some red thread to wrap the hook and then tie on 3 sets of rubber legs (that was actually much more challenging that I thought it would be). I then tried using some CA for the first time. I think I'll stick to head cement as that superglue made a mess, left a lot of white residue when it dried, and it instantly grabbed the foam and wouldn't let me reposition it. Thus my foam body started out a bit crooked. I covered that flaw up by laying down a bit of black yarn over the back. Not sure what it is, but it has 6 legs, a red belly, and a furry back. Going to have to work on playing with foam quite a bit more as it wasn't nearly as easy as I was thinking it might be.

post-38693-0-95587400-1327900775_thumb.jpg

And I think this could have been well predicted, but I have reached a critical level of frustration with the vice that came in my Troutman deluxe fly tying kit. The shape and finish on the cam locking lever is just wrong. I think I should go out to the shop and cut a new handle with a proper cam shape, but then you think of a couple hours of labor plus the costs of running the lathe and milling machine just to make one silly little part... it would be easier and cheaper to drop about $150 on a new vice.