Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Midges

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kirk V

Kirk V

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

These are some midges I created while tying from a syllabus comments are more then welcome. Thanks
Attached File  20120130_205913.jpg   141.51KB   114 downloads
Attached File  red rib midge.JPG   99.78KB   93 downloads

#2 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Getting closer, try to extend the abdomen back to at least the barb or to the start of the bend. The thorax could be a little shorter. I like to use the finest wire I can find.
"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#3 invasionqt

invasionqt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

I am beginning too, but here is what I have learned. I agree use finer wire for the rib. One other thing has helped with the overall look of midges is to use a flat thread. It lays nicer and makes for a smoother body. I personally like midges on a scud type hook. The slight curve just looks more natural to me. A bit more taper to the body may help. That is a tough one...some people tie almost an ice cream cone and others might only have a single wrap at the curve and three behind a bead or throax.
The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you? -- Lee Wulff

#4 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Two pieces of white ostich herl would make some nice gills comming out of the top of the head.The head to body ratio needs to be , more body and less head.
"My head is a prison, my times on the water are conjugal visits" Fred Hannie

visit my website http://www.realisticflytying.net