Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Never tie the Klinkhammer. Need tips

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 flyfishing99

flyfishing99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hi,

I got some 200R Tiemco hooks and am trying to tie some Klinkhammers just to have around on my next trip.

Would appreciate any helpful suggestions

Posted Image
I tie on a Jvice

#2 buggybob

buggybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Everything looks good except for the hook. A scud style hook is usually used.

#3 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I just starting to try and tie a few of those myself and tried it on a 200R like yours and found that if you put a slight bend in the hook about a 1/3rd way down from the hook eye, approx., 30degrees that will usually work if you don't have the Klink style hooks. I got this off a Youtube video. I did end up ordering some of the D1160 hooks just so I have some Klinks hooks to work with and compare. :)

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#4 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

I saw your posts earlier about the hook. Take a look at these on Hans Van Klinken"s website. This should answer your questions about hooks. I have found that if you take a curved hook (not a scud hook) and give it a little bend about 1/3 - 1/4 of the way from the eye it makes a very good klinkhammer.
http://www.flyfishin...hooks_klink.htm
There is also great info there about the development of the fly and a step by step instruction on the dressing of the fly. Hope this helps.

Shoebop

"...On a mission from God!"  Elmwood Blues

#5 flyfishing99

flyfishing99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

OK, I went back to my desk and tied one on an Orvis scud hook. Is this any better or do I need to get "the real deal" hooks?

Posted Image

And another

Posted Image
I tie on a Jvice

#6 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

go back to the 200 r and put a bend in it 1/3 the way down from the eye this pushes the abdomen below the surface of the water

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#7 joops

joops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

They look great. I think they look better on a grub hook &
I bet a grub hook is stronger.

#8 flyfishing99

flyfishing99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Went back and "bent" a 200R hook....................

Any better?

Posted Image
I tie on a Jvice

#9 Druce

Druce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thats a nice looking fly my friend :)
I like to fish

#10 Aqueous1025

Aqueous1025

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

I do not tie good enough to really offer any tips. I will say however, I really like it and the others you have posted. Like I said in an earlier post to Hans, your posts always inspire me to tie better. :-)

Also, I do believe my dubbing is getting better and better seeing it done so well by you.

#11 flyfishing99

flyfishing99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for the very kind words. We are all trying to improve our tying. I learn from many other tiers and have all my life.

anyway, I appreciate your very kind words.

Thanks,
Byron
I tie on a Jvice

#12 Voodoo

Voodoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

those last few are looking great, just watch the size of hackle on your post.
the fish wasnt too small, you just used a big rod!

I <3 000 rods

#13 lykos33

lykos33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Byron I looked up photos of "Klinks" and there are curvy ones and there are straighter ones that just seem to drop straight down at the back of the hackle/post. i thin as long as you get the Klinkhåmer to hang deep IN the surface you will get results....
I'll fish for anything I tell ya!!!
Murray Buck

#14 FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Nice flys! The last one looks great, but I usually give it bit more of a bend when using those hooks. I have no idea if it makes a difference. The first one you posted would probably be a very effective emerger. For what it is worth, I stay away from scud hooks for these as they tend to be heavier wire.

#15 trez

trez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

Link...
the first article I read...

Link...
THE (ARISING OF THE) KLINKHÅMER SPECIAL

I couldn't seem to find the article but after some searching found it, actually two different versions of it. The originator of the fly used larger than normal hackle for the fly to assist in floatation. Anyway from what I can tell your latest attempt is the closest one to what he designed it to be. Good work.
Trez