Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

UPDATE!!! International Reply Coupon Information

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:04 PM

[Copied in part from my post in "Tip of the Day"]

In response to a PM from one of our International Members, involved in a swap. His question is about postage.

We can generally expect something going through the mail to just come and go without a problem. In the case of international postage, a package which LOOKS LIKE A PARCEL, a padded manila envelope, etc., can be construed as material requiring duty be paid upon entry into the foreign country.

As I said, and for the most part, no one here, in mailing to countries such as Canada or a Canadian mailing something to the U.S., should worry if the following precaution is taken.

FIRST: When you package your flies, please put them in a padded, protective MAILER style envelope OR mailing box, perhaps even going the extra step to buy a USPS or CANADA POST printed envelope, with your flies mounted between a cardboard sandwich, or the hook points embedded in a piece of foam before you stick them into your kitchen storage bag, or however you see fit, as long as you stabilize them and they aren't dangerous to handlers by poking through the envelopes or whatever.

SECOND: I won't even presume to treat any of you like you're so stupid as to not know enough to send along a return mailer, postage pre-paid, or sufficient funds to cover return postage..............to your location.

Here is how to include postage in International circumstances.

When you go to the Post Office, you not only pay for your posted package, but, at the same time, you should:

purchase what is known as an "International Reply Coupon" - this 'coupon' is "pre-payment" from you to the receiver (swapper), to be used to return your package from the receiver's location, recognized internationally as redeemable for return postage from the foreign country.

For United States residents mailing to a foreign location: You are required to fill out a Form 2976, which is a Declaration that your package and its contents are NOT, do not and can not be deemed commercially valuable. This is mandatory.

For our foreign swappers, obviously go to your local Postal Facility and check your own regulations.

Don't forget about the "International Reply Coupon" being a method of payment redemption in foreign countries.

#2 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:42 PM

I will never understand why people who work for one agency can't communicate the same information from one location to another. dry.gif

Here is information taken from the USPS website relative to the use of International Reply Coupons by U.S. swappers mailing to foreign postal codes.

What are international reply coupons?

International reply coupons (IRCs) provide a convenient method for you to prepay replies from foreign countries. You can send your correspondent one or more coupons. Your correspondent exchanges the coupon for postage in his or her country. One coupon in the United States is exchangeable in any other participating member country for a stamp or stamps representing the minimum postage required for an unregistered airmail letter. If you are sending something that requires more postage than a standard letter, you should inquire with the appropriate foreign postal administration about how many IRCs will be needed to complete your transaction.

Further, here is a helpful website for calculating international postage rates and such: http://postalrates.info

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,143 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

Theres a Jan 1, 2007 update from the USPS regarding the coupons. May not affect any swappers but good to know.

http://pe.usps.gov/t.../pub51_022.html
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#4 ashley

ashley

"I gotta stay outta the pubs!"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

I cann't understand why people automatically presume that everyone will use international reply coupons?
I feel that we should be able to have the choice whether we use them or not.

When I've done swaps with the swap master in the US or what ever I've always sent cash and had no problems.

I wanted to join the swap club thing but cann't because of this coupon thing.

#5 Student4evr

Student4evr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

I just spoke with a local Post Office here in Washington State and they said that the IRT's are no longer available.

Frank

#6 mouse6196

mouse6196

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

They aren't available in my post office here in Canada. even though Canada Post advertises them. Well I'm going to send cash with the swap I'm in now, and if it doesn't work, I just won't join more swaps.

#7 Service Tech

Service Tech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (mouse6196 @ Dec 14 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They aren't available in my post office here in Canada. even though Canada Post advertises them. Well I'm going to send cash with the swap I'm in now, and if it doesn't work, I just won't join more swaps.

I do alot of swaps with people in the UK. I get in touch with the swapmeister and try to come to an amicable solution before the end of the swap, so that there is no confusion or misunderstandings.

#8 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:31 AM

I received them from Denmark and Canada. The post office here finally figured out how to use them after an hour of trying.

IRC's used for postage going back to Canada are worth .72 cents and Denmark were .94 cents and you can only use one per package shipped.

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 mouse6196

mouse6196

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

I found an IRC at the post office in the next town. I sent it along with my flies so I'll see how it works. I don't have that much confidence in Canada Post. I figured I'd throw in a bunch of extra flies just in the event that the IRC didn't cover 100% of the postage. FIngers are crossed.

#10 mikey99

mikey99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

I tried sending a package with the coupon, and they looked at me like I was a terrorist or something. wallbash.gif

#11 Horseshoes

Horseshoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

As a Canadian I now have found a solution, phone your local bank and inquire about US$ on hand. They will hold it for you.

When in Nova Scotia stop into JD's Bows & Guns

#12 Firetiger

Firetiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

Here in Czech Republic the IRCs sell for 50 crowns, which is slightly more than 2 USD. In the states they accept them for about 94 cents in stamps, which may or may not cover the swap meisters expense. If I include 2 1$ dollar bills right away I can be reasoneably certain the swap meister will not end up paying extra. I always ask ahead though smile.gif

#13 Horseshoes

Horseshoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

These coupons would be great but the postal around me said they do not use them anymore. fini. dunno.gif

When in Nova Scotia stop into JD's Bows & Guns

#14 rich5665

rich5665

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

I did a little searching and the IRC is actually still available it is called the Beijing model No. 2 IRC, it will be under going a change next year. It appears the design is changed every three years. The coupon is sold in 70 Countries. My guess is that local Post Offices just don't want to be bothered with them. I would guess that a larger Post Office in the larger cities may carry them. ie. New York, San Francisco etc. or check with the larger Postal Facilities in your area.

Here is some info from the Canada Post.
http://www.canadapos...Gintreply-e.asp

Here is some info from the USPS
http://pe.usps.gov/s...mp;dtype=2#hit0

Check with your local Post Office to see if they have them as they are not required to carry them. The local Post Office can request the coupons if there is a need.

Coupon Front
2007irc_front.jpg

Coupon Back
irc_2006_back.jpg

Hope this helps clear somethings up.

Rich5665
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

#15 JaxFlyTyer

JaxFlyTyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Check with your local Post Office to see if they have them as they are not required to carry them. The local Post Office can request the coupons if there is a need.

I lucked out at my PO this afternoon. It took them a while to find them but they only had two. Now I know to call ahead.
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer