Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

UV Resin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Has anyone used any of the uv resins that didnt come from the fly tying market, as in CCG or BB? I have been looking around but not completly sure what to get. I do know you can get the lights from other places. What are your thoughts?

Kevin

Eastern Fly's data base entries

easternfly.blogspot.com

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

i'll bet that none of the current uv resins were formulated/designed for the fly tying market.

these uv resins existed long before someone figured out they could be used for fly tying. they most likely come from the electronics, dental and finger nail industries/markets.

i currently use bb and diamond hard resins

Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

Don't overthink this! Fly tying is NOT rocket science!

#3 nyFLYguy05

nyFLYguy05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Actually that is wrong. Clear Cure Goo was created specifically for fly tying. A lot of great info online about CCG. CCG has tons of different types - thick, thin, flex, fleck, hydro, brushable, ect - love CCG

#4 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Most of the info I have found is electronic based. I'm sure it didnt start from the fishing industry. Where can it found other than the fishing area.

Kevin

easternfly.blogspot.com

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

#5 Johny Utah

Johny Utah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

I have used these resin quite a lot. I did a review on them if your interested u.v. resin review

#6 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have used these resin quite a lot. I did a review on them if your interested u.v. resin review

I have read it before and there ws a lot of information there.

Kevin

easternfly.blogspot.com

#7 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

here you go Kevin http://www.deco-coat.com/uv.html they sell it for doming like 3d eyes it comes in flexible and hard and comes in low or high intensity

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#8 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Actually that is wrong. Clear Cure Goo was created specifically for fly tying. A lot of great info online about CCG. CCG has tons of different types - thick, thin, flex, fleck, hydro, brushable, ect - love CCG

Actually, I believe you are wrong. The technology, materials, and expertise were around LONG before any of it was used in flies.

I am willing to bet the CCG guy didn't wake up one morning and say "I'm going to go get a chemical engineering degree so I can make a goo for fly tying which will cure with a blue light!!" starting from zero.

It may have been tuned and tweaked to get exactly what they sell, but it definitely came from existing materials.

the gales of November remembered...

#9 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

here you go Kevin http://www.deco-coat.com/uv.html they sell it for doming like 3d eyes it comes in flexible and hard and comes in low or high intensity

I have looked at there page several times and could never find out a price. Do you know?

Kevin

easternfly.blogspot.com

#10 perchjerker

perchjerker

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Actually, I believe you are wrong. The technology, materials, and expertise were around LONG before any of it was used in flies.

I am willing to bet the CCG guy didn't wake up one morning and say "I'm going to go get a chemical engineering degree so I can make a goo for fly tying which will cure with a blue light!!" starting from zero.

It may have been tuned and tweaked to get exactly what they sell, but it definitely came from existing materials.

I have to agree with JZ on this one. I seriously doubt that a single item on the market for fly tying was developed specifically for that niche. The size of the potential market pretty much precludes such a thing happening; especially with 'synthetics', and such. The market simply will not support the research/development that would have to go into such a product.