Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite thread

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Which thread do you prefer

Which thread do you prefer

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:17 PM

I'm in the market to get some more thread and I was wondering what the preferred thread was. I figured these were the 4 most common.

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:44 PM

UNI...not for any real solid reason, just what the fly shop has and I have been happy with.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#3 pakito

pakito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:13 PM

UNI.., is the best ones

----------------------------------
My Webpage --- Pescando a Mosca ---

#4 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

Of all the madjor tying threads out there that ive used, uni gets my vote.

If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#5 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:22 PM

I prefer Danville Flymaster, I have other threads but don't use them.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

For all of my general tying it's Uni for me also. I seem to have a better feel for how much tension I can put on it. I like the way Gudebrod lays but I have a tendancy to break it MUCH more often. For tiny little stuff I use Benechi for 12/0.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#7 Mako

Mako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:57 PM

hey guy's ! the company Uni is from here, Quebec not so far from home ! see their web site if you want. Jean guy Coté, the owner have make some great flies .
If you remember blink.gif when i present myself some weeks ago, i twas talking about a great flie here for trout: it was him who create it. the name of this flie is this one ANDREA here the flie below. This creation have make several catch since he create it ....around 2002. it's a good idea to have it in flie box whit ourself ! user posted image

#8 St Croix

St Croix

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:39 PM

I us Danville just because it is what the fly shop carries. I use kevlar for my glow bugs.

#9 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:48 PM

Benecchi.

#10 bassturd

bassturd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

Danville mono. I prefer to tie with monofilament because it is clear . the fly shop around here carries others but I like the danville best because I am used to it and know how much tension I can put on it without breaking it
Stupid risks are what makes life worth living. Homer Simpson

#11 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:56 PM

I use good old American made Guidebrod from our good friends in Pottstown, PA.

OSD laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
user posted image

#12 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:04 PM

I really didn't know until I just looked at my spools. Majority are Uni about some are Danville, but I noticed the newer spools of yellow and white thread are Orvis. We have a new (1 yr old now) Orvis store in Pasadena. Great place to send people Christmas shopping.

#13 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:17 PM

Danville Flymaster 6/0 waxed for size 16 and smaller. I like it a lot for tying small patterns, very little bulk, lays down flat, and seems to bind things to the hook well (tends to "grab" materials and hold them in place). Very pleased with how this thread performs.

I use Uni 8/0 and 6/0 for the bigger bugs, and for weaving bodies on the small flies.
Russ Forney

#14 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:15 AM

In searching for the next thread to buy, I came across this. Pretty good info. Thanks for participating. Myself I have some uni and some danville but not nearly enough of either.
http://www.flyfisher...m/ftb/ssthread/

#15 4beader

4beader

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:35 AM

Excellent link Fishigan, Thanks. By the way I use Uni 8/0 for nearly all the trout flies I tie. The rest, well what ever I have available. James