Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

April 2012 : Flies from the Vise

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 lykos33

lykos33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image
Hook: #8 Allen 2302
Tag: Blue Flash FTD
Body: Grey Flymaster 6/0
Rib: Blue Flash FTD
Abdomen: Peacock Herl
Collar: Blue Short Cock Hackle

Saw the flash, wanted to try it as a rib or body...went well with the grey flymaster so rib it was. Threw a blue hackle into the mix and then that @#%@% song from 5th grade French class started in my head..."bleu, bleu, lamour est bleu"...Someone shoot me...it won't stop!!!!!!! :(

I'll fish for anything I tell ya!!!
Murray Buck

#2 Peterjay

Peterjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Looks good Murray! It's fun playing around with flash - I use it on a lot on my saltwater heads. BTW: you should consider yourself lucky you've got a nice French song running through your head. With me, it's usually the theme from "Mr. Ed," or worse yet, "Gilligan's Island." On one particularly gruesome day, it was "Surfer Bird," by the Trashmen. Now THAT was a bad day.

#3 lykos33

lykos33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Peterjay, I guess you're right..if I walked around humming Gilligan's Isle all day I would get some baffled looks.
Posted Image
Orange 3.0 (because it took 3 attempts to get a version I semi liked)
Posted Image
PB Squirrel (pink butt)
Murray

Murray Buck

#4 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

OLIVE TUNGSTEN SHEAR NYMPH...TMC 2499 SP BL - #14-#18...

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

apologise for the quality of the pick. Working on that front.Attached File  snow 2012 008.JPG   2.43MB   34 downloads
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#6 Simon Lidster

Simon Lidster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Baetis nymph

Hook ; 16 Grip Nymph&Dry
2mm tungsten bead
Thread ; olive nanosilk
Tails ; Partridge
Body ; Olive goose biot
Legs ; partridge
Thorax ; SLF dubbing
Wing cases ; goose biots

Simon

Attached Files

#7 Simon Lidster

Simon Lidster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Actually, forgot to add the actual nymph and subimago

Baetis Niger (Iron Blue)

Attached Files

#8 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

This is like, my third attempt at spinning deer hair, it's very bouyant and sits right when floating, or sunk and released, so I'm happy :D

Posted Image

#9 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Dude, its ALL head LOL, just messin with ya. You clearly have what it takes to crank out some nice deer hair stuff, Lets see more B)

#10 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Nice flies here already! Heh Wavey that is one nice fly, can i please have a dozen for testing :P

#11 lykos33

lykos33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Wavey, if Bruce says you have aptitude in spinning hair....definitely take it as a complement...look at his avatar and then see what else you can find on here of his involving deer hair...Some sweet flies going up so far this month!
Murray

Murray Buck

#12 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thank you so much guys :D gonna have a go later at creating some muddler minnows :D

#13 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

Thank you so much guys :D gonna have a go later at creating some muddler minnows :D

Oh I'll test those for you, durability and all that. I'd hate you to lose a fish on a new fly. I'll run that risk for you :D :D :D :D
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#14 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Posted Image

FRANK’S FLASHY…OLIVE/PEACOCK VARIANT – Frank Drummond…TMC 2457, Daiichi 1120 – #14 – #18…

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#15 joops

joops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Big Czech nymph 8#

Attached File  czech.jpg   57.28KB   32 downloads