Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

April 2012 : Flies from the Vise

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#31 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image

TRIPLE H PUPA ( Hot, Holo and Hydropsyche )…TMC 2499 SP BL- #14 – #18…

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#32 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image

Last Spring, on the East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA...this Midge pattern caught more LARGE Browns and Rainbows, for Michael and I ,than any other pattern in my fly boxes...I repeated that process in September...

PALINISTA – (apologies to EVA)

HOOK: Mustad C49S, Daiichi 1130... #18 -#20

THREAD: Tiemco, 16/0, White

TAIL: 1 Strand Pearl Krystal Flash

ABDOMEN: White Thread

OVERABDOMEN: Hareline Stalcup’s Micro Tubing, Blue

RIB: Wapsi Silver Wire, X-SM

WING: Grizzly Krystal Flash Back and White

THORAX: Arizona Diamond Hair Pearl Green or Blue

HOT SPOT: Datum Glo-Brite Floss, Red # 3

BEAD: Silver Brass or Tung., 5/64 or 1/16

Go figure... :lol:

PT/TB
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

#33 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

I've had tiers block the past couple of days, until I had some foam and new bucktail turn up that is. Just made this, my attempt at a Gurgler:

Posted Image

I just realised I forgot to put in the fritz, whoops

Posted Image

Edit ^: that's much better

#34 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Still working on pike flies

Posted Image

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#35 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:09 AM

Nice flies there. If you are after some inspiration look at the PFFA website and look at Dave Linsays flies. http://www.pffa.co.uk/pikeflys.htm
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#36 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the link Piker! After having a read through, I had a play with epoxy and crinkle hair, and created, sandeels, on 1/0 hooks :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the shoal:

Posted Image

#37 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

i like Krinkle hair and the enrico puglisi fibres for pike flies. Really throw off the water on the cast and keeps weight down. You should definately catch them with those flies of they are there.

One ' pattern' I had joy with was simply a rubber grub with the tail cut off, hook threaded through so it formed the body and some flashbou and tinsel as a tail. Not sure why they liked it as it looked rubbish but on flowing water pike it was really effective.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#38 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

It was fun tying with the hair, I've got some light blue, and enough white to create some mackerel or shad patterns, it's really got me thinking :D And I think I have some old beaten up rubber grub lures somewhere, I could probably use the tails and the bodies, like that :D

#39 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

It was fun tying with the hair, I've got some light blue, and enough white to create some mackerel or shad patterns, it's really got me thinking :D And I think I have some old beaten up rubber grub lures somewhere, I could probably use the tails and the bodies, like that :D

I was about to write when it comes to pike anything the right size at the right depth will get them but I've too many cold blank days behind me to risk that. A good book I have on pike fishing is Joe Buchers Crankbait Secrets. Its a book for lure fishing but the principles apply to any bait presented for pike and musky. It certainly improved my success with lures for pike.

#40 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Yep, i've been on the PFFA site and the Predator Tying site that is linked from there.

Wavey, where do you get the crinkle hair? It looks almost identical to the Supreme Hair I used on the middle fly. Got it at Cabelas for $3.99

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#41 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Piker: I will definitely keep an eye out for that book! :D

Crotalus: I got it from an Amazon shop called TheFlyLine, but I'm not sure if they have any US outlets :)

#42 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

I found a batch of flat metalic looking (its some sort of plastic ) tinsel type material in the craft shop intended for kids. Came in a pack with pompoms and other bits. Doesn't seem to tarnish in salt water and its about 12inch lengths in big bundles so plenty to go at for tying.

Have you seen this book; Mastering Pike on the Fly: Strategies and Techniques by Barry Reynolds and Lefty Kreh (Mar 2004) some of its a bit complicated but if you plan to do a good bit of pike fly fishing then its a worthwhile read.

#43 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Posted Image

ALLY'S MIDGE

HOOK: Gamakatsu C12-B, #18 -#20
THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, White
SHUCK: Pearl Krystal Flash
RIB: Wapsi wire, Silver, x-sm
OVER ABDOMEN: Micro tubing, Red
WING: 3 short strands Grizzly Krystal Flash, Black/White
THORAX: Arizona Diamond Hair, Pearl Green
HOT SPOT: Datum Glo-Brite Floss, # 3
BEAD: Black Tung. or lead sub. stuffed Black Brass

Posted Image

Ally, on the Madison River...one mean Fly Fishin' girl... :lol:

PT/TB

#44 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Tipulidae larvae:

Simple, and effective during high water after some rain.

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#45 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

I've some like the ones on the left in a blacky/purply colour but never had any joy on them yet. The ones on the right I have some just like that from #18-#12 and they work great. Some are tied with hare dubbing mixed with slight tinsel bits and that works well when olives are hatching.