Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you eat yours?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Interested in how folks prepare their catch for eating. My favourite is Seatrout and I like Patrick Williams's recipe for sea trout with spicy bean salsa and avocado salad. Works well with a fresh salmon too.

1. First prepare the bean salsa. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan. Add the shallot and fry gently until softened, around 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and fry gently until the garlic has softened. Remove from direct heat.

2. Season the shallot mixture with salt, freshly ground pepper, allspice and pomegranate molasses. Mix in the chopped coriander and groundnut oil, then mix in the cooked broad beans, black-eye beans and aduki beans. Set aside to bring out the flavours.

3. Season the sea trout fillet with salt and freshly ground pepper.

4. Gently heat a non-stick frying pan. Add the vegetable oil and place the fillet skin side down. Fry the sea trout until the skin is crisp and golden brown. Turn the fillet sealing the other side until the fish is pink.

5. To make the avocado salad, peel the avocado, discarding the stone, and dice into a bowl. Add the red bonnet pepper, onion, parsley, coriander, lime juice and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and fold in the chopped tomatoes.

6. Arrange the bean salsa on a serving plate. Top with the fried sea trout. Finish the dish with a generous helping of avocado salad and serve at once. :P :P :P
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#2 Ebrant10

Ebrant10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I love love love trout filleted, dipped in egg,then rolled in cracker crumbs, and fried in the skillet. Touch it with some old bay and lemon juice, it makes me hungry thinking about it!
Fishy fishy in the brook, fishy fishy bite my hook.

#3 iFly

iFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Blackened with lemon Flounder fillets. Yum!

#4 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

The only time I kill my fish is when I am camping in the middle of nowhere (My favourite place!) I like wild brook trout fried in butter with sliced almonds, served with lemon.

#5 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Rockworm - EXACTLY!!

I'll throw in some mushrooms if it's the right time of year. If I am fishing alone (the usual) I will keep one for the frypan. NOTHING better! That all started before catch and release became the norm. Some of my best memories are of me and my 2 best friends sitting around that frypan, smelling those Brookies, forks in hand. :rolleyes:

Now you've got me started. I'm going "up North" to annoy those Brookies the last week in May. Wife is going to Vegas with her office, I'm dropping her at the airport on my way North. I'm takin' the skillet. :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#6 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Here are two quick and simple recipe's i enjoy, usually fresh fish i cook very simply but theses are fun too

Chilli Mussels,

Fresh red chilli's
Garlic
Onion
Anchovy fillet
Tiny bit of fresh rosemary
Olive oil
Tomato Paste or Crushed Tomato (Can)
Fresh Basil
Fresh Mussels De-Bearded
1/2 bottle white wine

Throw your anchovy fillet into a pot with a tad of olive oil, throw in a tiny tiny bit of rosemary, throw in garlic, and onion and wait till slightly browned. Chuck the chilli in (sliced), cook for a few mins, throw in tomato paste or crushed tomatoes (or both!), throw in torn fresh basil, simmer for about 5 mins. Get your cleaned mussels and throw them in, pour in the white wine and pour yourself a glass, place lid on pot, cook until they open, stir it up and serve with fresh chopped chilli and basil.

Attached File  ChilliMusssel.jpg   101.31KB   7 downloads

Next up is for any leftover frozen fish you have...

Mikes amazing Fish Pie
Shrimp, a whole bag! (uncooked and peeled)
White fish, some decent fillet or two of some firm fleshed white fish (skinless and cubed or in chunks)
Salmon, trout, or steelhead fillet (skinless and cubed or in chunks)
Garlic
Broccoli
Potatoes
Cheese
Milk
Butter
Salt and Pepper
Cheese or Pastry
Attached File  PieIngredients.jpg   78.67KB   5 downloads

Now this is pretty easy, boil potatoes and make a mashed potato that you like, throw in some broccoli, and stir in the fish and shrimps, chuck the mash into a baking dish, cover with cheese (something mild) or your pastry, bake for 20 -30 mins.

Attached File  FishPie.jpg   347.35KB   0 downloads

#7 Peterjay

Peterjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

About the only fish I eat these days is flounder, though I hope to try sea trout & redfish when we finish our move to the south. A good way to cook any white fish is to salt & pepper the filets, (plus whatever seasonings you might like) spread on a thin coat of mayonnaise, and roll them in Ritz Cracker crumbs. Put them in a baking pan and cook them in the oven until done. I used to love perch or bluegills dipped in egg, dredged in flour, salt, and pepper and pan-fried, but unfortunately, panfish in New England aren't fit to eat any more thanks to mercury contamination. What I really like is English-style fish & chips, but they're hard to find these days, and I've forgotten how to make the batter. Hey, thanks a lot you guys - I wasn't hungry when I sat down here, and now my mouth is watering.......wonder if the fish market is still open.

#8 Panama Red

Panama Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

[quote name='FlyFishin'Jam' timestamp='1335636450' post='504089']
Here are two quick and simple recipe's i enjoy, usually fresh fish i cook very simply but theses are fun too

Chilli Mussels,

Fresh red chilli's
Garlic
Onion
Anchovy fillet
Tiny bit of fresh rosemary
Olive oil
Tomato Paste or Crushed Tomato (Can)
Fresh Basil
Fresh Mussels De-Bearded
1/2 bottle white wine

Throw your anchovy fillet into a pot with a tad of olive oil, throw in a tiny tiny bit of rosemary, throw in garlic, and onion and wait till slightly browned. Chuck the chilli in (sliced), cook for a few mins, throw in tomato paste or crushed tomatoes (or both!), throw in torn fresh basil, simmer for about 5 mins. Get your cleaned mussels and throw them in, pour in the white wine and pour yourself a glass, place lid on pot, cook until they open, stir it up and serve with fresh chopped chilli and basil.

Attached File  ChilliMusssel.jpg   101.31KB   7 downloads

God bless you my son! This is one my favorite things in the world, used to go to Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey California and them by the plateful.

As for fish... # 1 Manirnated in beer and Wassabi , coated in panko and deep fried in peanut oil. Works great for shrimp and oysters as well. #2 the afore mentioned items in a soft fried corn tortilla with lettuce, red onion, and wassabi cocktail sauce.
Posted Image
The Fisherman Formerly Known as FatzFlatz...Joined:04-February 06

#9 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

As for fish... # 1 Manirnated in beer and Wassabi , coated in panko and deep fried in peanut oil. Works great for shrimp and oysters as well. #2 the afore mentioned items in a soft fried corn tortilla with lettuce, red onion, and wassabi cocktail sauce.
Posted Image

That looks wonderful. Hopefully catch something tonight and try this one out. How long are you marinating for? When you say beer are you using lager or proper ale?
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#10 Panama Red

Panama Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

That looks wonderful. Hopefully catch something tonight and try this one out. How long are you marinating for? When you say beer are you using lager or proper ale?

Marinate for bout 30 minutes or so, as for beer...I use whatever I'm drinking at the time, I've used lagers, IPA, Wheat beer...I have found that Ales and more complex beers such as Sam Adams impart more flavor, Shiner Bock is favorite as well.

Hope you catch a mess of fish and eat well.
The Fisherman Formerly Known as FatzFlatz...Joined:04-February 06

#11 Kudu

Kudu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Bass, bream, catfish, and crappie I soak in buttermilk and then deep fry in a spicy cornmeal serve with cole slaw, hush puppies and fried green tomatoes. Dorado I blacken on the grill with Paul Prudhommes redfish magic, prepare a tangy coleslaw and eat as a fish taco. Trout I stuff with crab meat, onions, green peppers, and Louisiana hot sauce. I then put the trout, salt and peppered, in aluminum foil with onions, green peppers, and real butter then grill. All of this gets washed down with mass quantities of cold beer.
Does anyone have a good recipe for pacific amberjack (yellow tail)? I have a lot of it. Thanks!

#12 Peterjay

Peterjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Man, I am definitely gonna bookmark this thread. If anybody has a good recipe for beer batter, please don't be shy about joining the discussion. However, anyone who mentions Manhattan clam chowder is hereby ordered to report to the disintegration chamber for disposal. Back when I was shellfishing commercially, I used to come across some nice oysters once in a while. I'd put a little garlic butter on them, sprinkle some coarsely ground pepper and bread crumbs, put a piece of bacon on top, and run them under the broiler until the bacon crisped up a bit. I could eat them by the bushel. I used to eat oysters raw when I was nursing a hangover out on the water, (which was just about every time I went out) but since I got sober, about the only thing I eat uncooked is the occasional inhaled mosquito.

#13 perchjerker

perchjerker

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Mostly, I put them into my mouth to eat them!

#14 largemouthTLOCD

largemouthTLOCD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

I dont keep to many fish but when I do they usually get cut into chunks and fried. My favorite fish recipe though is baked tilapia. For those who dont know what a tilapia is it is and invasive species here in central florida(dont know about anywhere else) that tastes great. They grow to about 5-10 lbs in just a few years so their are plenty of big ones. Anyways I bake the whole fillets with some barbecue sauce in the oven to bake. I will also cook some bacon wrapped shrimp and white rice. After thats done I mix it all in a bowl and eat.

#15 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

I like fish about any way. I steam trout in a bamboo steamer and drizzle a bit of sesame oil on it after it's done. I love fried fish as well, but don't generally fry them because I'm cooking for myself and it isn't worth the mess.

Tilapia? Love it.

My favorite is grouper or halibut for saltwater fish. My daughter likes tuna, and I like it OK, but it's not my favorite. Grilled tuna or salmon is great, like that charcoal taste.