Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bluegill pattern

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MTFlyJunkie

MTFlyJunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Need a lot of help with a bluegill pattern for a swap this month! This is way outside of my wheelhouse as a trout fisherman. I know that they will eat the same sorts of flies but I also want to try something more species specific and challenge myself. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

if you go to the database and search panfish you will get a ton of possibilities

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#3 CoachBob

CoachBob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Make up some Boudreauxs (see pattern data base).
The other swappers will love you for it.
You probably have to look it up under CoachBob in the tyer selection box.
Bob Boese
www.caseycookadventures.com
Environmental Mystery Adventure Novels

#4 riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

Make up some Boudreauxs (see pattern data base).
The other swappers will love you for it.
You probably have to look it up under CoachBob in the tyer selection box.

heres the link http://www.flytyingf...attern7515.html

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

if you go to the database and search panfish you will get a ton of possibilities

that would be great if searching the database actually worked :(

id go with this one

Posted Image

simple, easy and a killer pattern for panfish
Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#6 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

^^^ i did find a way to 'cheat' the database, find a submission from someone for your target species posted in the forums, next click that target species in their pattern, will bring up the whole db B)

#7 riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

id go with this one

Posted Image

click search then go to the species in the drop down menu scroll to panfish then click search

#8 176319

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Also if you make that pattern bigger maybe to a size 3-6 hook it would be awesome for bass. I made it a couple of years ago- it worked so good I caught something over 20 smallies

id go with this one

Posted Image

click search then go to the species in the drop down menu scroll to panfish then click search

I hope my post was entertaining, educational, and interesting. If not... Reread it!!!

Kieran (176319)

#9 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

My rule of thumb for bluegill patterns: anything you spend extra time on, trying to challenge yourself, is going to be shredded in 6 fish. And 6 fish in bluegill terms might be a few minutes. :)

I stick to simple, durable patterns. If you've never bluegill fished you have no idea how destructive they are on flies. I like subsurface patterns with marabou tails, chenille bodies, and some rubber legs. Surface patterns like foam spiders, foam tied in Gurgler style over a chenille body with some rubber legs is very deadly. My most detailed bluegill pattern is a generic nymph I tie in all black for winter fishing, and here is the recipe:

-Head: copper bead
-Tail: black rabbit
-Body: black D-rib or similar material
-Wing Case: black bucktail
-Thorax: black nymph Spectrablend dubbing

I don't know why, exactly, but that pattern in sizes 10-14 absolutely murders Ohio bluegills all the way from December-March. Fish it about 3' under an indicator and be ready. With those materials it is fairly durable and will last several fish.