Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Custom Fly Tying Bench

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Fly Tying Bench

Do you use a tying bench?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If yes, did you buy or build your bench?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If no, would you buy a bench if it fit your needs?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 dvs

dvs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

I made my own a few years ago using some of my own ideas and a bit of what's already out there.  I think this turned out awesome.  I made several with the idea of selling them on commision at some local shops, but I haven't gotten to that yet.  Anyone in the ontario/GTA area looking for a bench let me know.  (ps the legs underneath are not a part of it - just a tv table.......)

Clint

Attached File  Fly_Tying_Bench_01 001.jpg   169.48KB   661 downloads

Attached File  Fly_Tying_Bench_01 015.jpg   142.35KB   447 downloads

#32 william anderson

william anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

This is a tying station that I have used for years. Then I reconfigured my armoire to become the stations home and material storage. The station is the same but now it's on heavy glides and pulls out of the armoire like a desk. These things are always in a state of evolution, but it's working for me at the moment.

TyingArmoirestationout2.jpg

TyingArmoirefront.jpg

The other half of the armoire houses my little photo set up as well. My wife likes that the entire enterprise can be put out of site in a moment. =)

w

WilliamsFavorite.com

#33 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

William ... that's a pretty cool tying station.  I like that idea of closing it off, out of sight, too.  But for me, it woul dease my mind knowing the cats won't be able to find a stray hook or something.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#34 BassMouth87

BassMouth87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

William: That is a beautiful setup. I like the design and how clean and organized everything is...will be in my mind for later evolutions of my tying station.

DVS: I am from the area and am curious what the damage on those benches would be?

#35 tctrout

tctrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

This thread is making me so envious!  I built my own with my father YEARS ago, and it really simply serves a function.  These areas are very well setup; thanks for everyone sharing pics of their station.  I hope to redo mine in the near future...

Tim

http://www.youtube.com/tctrout

Thanks for viewing my website: http://www.troutandfeather.com

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here: 

#36 dvs

dvs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Well it's all about what works, I wanted something organized and portable, something I could tie on in the livingroom to keep my wife company etc.  So i bought a 4x8 sheet of white hardboard, figured I had enough with one sheet I can make a few and recover some costs.  Now they're built and ready for sale, and I have a baby girl....... who loves feathers.........  and so, even MINE is up for sale and I'm in the basement!   Lmao....... 

Keep tying!  (oh..... and let me know if anyone needs a bench..LOL)

Clint

PS>  I've been watching your YouTube stuff Tim, love your work!

#37 tctrout

tctrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

PS>  I've been watching your YouTube stuff Tim, love your work!

Thanks, DVS; I appreciate the comment.  I plan on making another video tomorrow for YouTube; feel free to email any suggestions for patterns.  I've had a couple people mention no-hackles, so I will be tying one or two of those next week.

Tim

Thanks for viewing my website: http://www.troutandfeather.com

Feel free to also check out my fly tying tutorials here: 

#38 92Esquire

92Esquire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

Here's the custom tying bench my dad made for me a few years ago.  Cherry and birdseye maple, made to the dimensions I wanted.  He also inset a replaceable Melamine top into it so that if I drip glue, I'm not ruining nice hardwood.  Also makes hooks easier to find.

FlyDesk.jpg

#39 dvs

dvs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

This is gorgeous!  I plan on building something along these lines soon for myself.  give your dad my compliments on his workmanship!

Clint

#40 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

That's a beautiful piece of furniture, 92.  You're Dad must be a pro.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#41 rolsen

rolsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

2nd that.

- Bad humor since seventies and counting -

#42 92Esquire

92Esquire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Nope, not a pro.  But he is an engineer who is incredibly compentent with tools and problem solving.  He's actually a bit ashamed of this as it was one of the earlier things he did.  He says when he sees it, he only sees the mistakes.  I'm blessed to have it.

#43 firetool

firetool

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Nope, not a pro.  But he is an engineer who is incredibly compentent with tools and problem solving.  He's actually a bit ashamed of this as it was one of the earlier things he did.  He says when he sees it, he only sees the mistakes.  I'm blessed to have it.

If my mistakes were only that small! Becouse I can't see them that is a beutifull piece of wood working. I used an old cumputer desk that I made a back for that holds peg board and a shelf on top. It works for now. I am working on plans to have my own custom one done.  

#44 Roadkill

Roadkill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Here is one of my typical portable benches that i started making years ago. This one fits in a flip top storage box with all the materials and hardware to set up at Expo tying tables.

IMGP1255.JPG

Who speaks for the fish?

#45 MayflyMeyhem

MayflyMeyhem

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

I made a bench out of a 3 piece wooden cutting board set and a couple wood dowels from Walmart and Home Depot. Found the plans on web similar to this http://www.tvangler....on-on-a-budget/ I customized mine and it came out quite a bit better than the one shown on the web link. It was a fun project and resulted in a better than expected product I have used happily for 6-7 years. If I get a chance I'll post pics.
Make mine a Lagavulin, Laphroig or Ardbeg - neat