Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

What's your favorite insect hatch to fish?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 Shirt Rippa!

Shirt Rippa!

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

I just recently started fly fishing in November so I haven't had a chance to really fish a hatch, but last weekend a couple of my buddies and I were fishing the South Fork of the Boise River here in Idaho. After they released some water into the river the cranefly larvae were being washed out of the banks, so we threw on some Barr's Cranefly larvae and were pulling out some really nice rainbows almost immediately, and they were hitting em hard! A day to remember indeed...

#122 SteelCityFlies

SteelCityFlies

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

My favorite definitely has to be the fall BWO hatch. It's just so great to go back out for trout after a summer of lake fishing and really see those trout come up and nail the dries.

#123 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Brachycentrus subnubilis - the Grannom. Hatches early April up here in Scotland and I find their fluttery flight a charming sight when I'm not attracting the interest of any fish. Easy to tie a fly to suggest the real thing and provides a good meaty meal for a hungry post freeze troot.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#124 fishing on the fly

fishing on the fly

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

I have two favorite hatches but use the same fly for both and that would be the Salmon Fly hatch in the spring and the October Caddis hatch in the fall. I like to use a size 8 or 6 orange stimi for both.... I can actually get away with fishing an orange stimi year 'round except maybe Jan Feb and March.
Alan
Friends Don't Let Friends Nymph...