Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Historic Sites, Abandoned Buildings & Plane Wrecks On Vancouver Is

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Chris H

Chris H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hi everyone. A while back I purchased a Nikon D3100 and got out to shoot some photos! Here are just a few I thought I would share on the site!

WW2 Plane wreck out in the bush
Posted Image
Posted Image
-------------------

Here is a small home build plane that crash just past a runway, It crashed on take off

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-------------------

An Abandoned saw mill that used to be part of an old town site

Posted Image
Posted Image
-------------------

Some Abandoned Vehicles/Parts close by a beautiful lake which ocne was the site of a logging town

Posted Image
Posted Image
-------------------

An interesting cave/small mine shaft - Still wires hanging from areas of the roof leading to old sticks of TNT?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-------------------

Part of the site of an old coal mine

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-------------------

Bridge Pilling that used to connect an old open pit mine to the now abandoned processing plant area across the river

Posted Image
-------------------

One of my more favorite areas, One of BC's earliest coal mines. The beach is littered with steel parts, train tracks and so on

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Foremans house - Amazing view off the cliffs edge down to the beach
Posted Image

Well thanks for looking everyone. These photos were from the earlier days of owning the camera, exposure times and such are way off on some shoots. Just wanted to share my exploring experiances

Chris,

Chris

http://www.250explorer.com

Discover Vancouver Island From Port Hardy To Victoria!

#2 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

great pics I love old abandoned buildings and such to bad some people feel the need to paint graffiti on them I love the pic of that old cable winch

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#3 Chris H

Chris H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thanks Paul, its an interesting location. I believe they called that a steam donkey back in the day, The size of it and the cable it must have used it wild!

Chris

#4 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Some great shots. The scrap metal value there could buy you a few beautiful vices!
is that a dc10 in first shot?

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

#6 Chris H

Chris H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi Piker. Lots of scrap metal lol. The plane is actually a C47 Dakota

Chris

#7 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Great shots, great location. Lots of history there.
If I remember correctly (the first thing to go is the memory, and the second thing is the memory), the C47 was the military designation for the DC3, some of which are still flying today. Real workhorse of a plane.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#8 Chris H

Chris H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

It sure looks like it would have been a work horse! it ran out of gas though trying to come back around to land after missing the runway the first time

Chris

#9 riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I was just looking back at these pictures it kind of amazes me that all those people have tagged stuff but no one has taken the time to check them wires for the TNT

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#10 Chris H

Chris H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

I lived on the edge and went in, judging by the difficulty to get to those holes I'd say there is still something in them,but they are very old

Chris

#11 boutdoors

boutdoors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Wow! Great looking pictures always like to see old and abandoned buildings.
Robert

#12 Chris H

Chris H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Attached File  boat2.jpg   104.66KB   26 downloads
Attached File  boat1.jpg   117.3KB   21 downloads

Took a drive out to a local rec site and managed to get a couple photos of a washed up wooden boat before the rain hit. I forgot to go out on low tide though

Chris

#13 riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

Chris you take some awesome photos

#14 Chris H

Chris H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Thanks Paul

Chris

#15 mikechell

mikechell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

You could always take a battery with you and hook it up to those wires, Chris. Just to see if some lights come on or something .... no?

Barbed hooks rule!