Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Any ideas for articulated or intruder storage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have been keeping my intruders in just a compartment box all loose, but when i am on the water i pull one out and they are all attached to each other in some horrible big ball of fur and flash.

I also tried in a regular fly box, but they all flip around and mash all the other flies in the box. Once again it is like a big ball of fur.

Any cheap ideas? I think i saw a cliff box but it is pretty expensive.
“Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll buy a funny hat”

#2 SCOwens

SCOwens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Go to your local fabric store, buy dense thick foam, about 1/2 inch, cut slits with an xacto knife, find a box, plastic pistol boxes from Dick's sporting Goods will work. And mimic the cliff box ... hope that works man, I will take a donation of 10 flies for my wealth of knowledge if used haha. Good luck SO

#3 Garhan

Garhan

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I have been keeping my intruders in just a compartment box all loose, but when i am on the water i pull one out and they are all attached to each other in some horrible big ball of fur and flash.

I also tried in a regular fly box, but they all flip around and mash all the other flies in the box. Once again it is like a big ball of fur.

Any cheap ideas? I think i saw a cliff box but it is pretty expensive.

I have used large straws cut to length of the intruder. Sometime the straw need to be split down the middle to fit the intruder depending on the size of intruder you are using. Or they can just be slide inside the straw after they are cut to length. Just place them inside and lay them in your box or in a bag.

#4 nick2011

nick2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Cabellas sells a nice big fly,fly box..it has foam inside with pre cut slots and also has a foam fly holder on the outside, i like mine alot plus it has a nice handle.
nick sipe

#5 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Here is what I came up with. I made some clips out of stainless wire and inserted them in a slotted foam box. I hook the eye Of the fly over the wire, then insert the hook in the slot as usual.

These aren't Intruders but it works the same with any large articulated fly.
Posted Image

Wire clip
Posted Image

The stub of the wire digs into the foam and keeps it from pulling out.

#6 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

The wire clip idea is pretty neat, Jaydub.