Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

feather question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 what's for lunch

what's for lunch

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

the other day i found a feather on the bedroom floor and i realized it came from our down comforter. being a newbie i was wondering if this type of feather has any use in tying saltwater flies. thanks.

#2 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

as a fly tyer every feather or piece of whatever has a use in fly tying so your answer is yes now the question you should ask yourself is on what type of fly would this feather be most useful? will it add movement as legs? will it be more useful as a wing feather?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#3 perchjerker

perchjerker

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

If it 'true down', it will have rather limited applications. It should work to simulate gills, etc., as it is very 'filmy', much like CDC. True down feathers are found under the contour feathers on most all birds. They are typically very abundant on the breast of ducks and geese in the spring of the year, at which time the female plucks them to line her nest with. Some common 'down feathers' routinely used in fly tying are: marabou; pheasant 'aftershaft' feathers; and, CDC.

#4 netabrookie

netabrookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

...A word to the wise...be careful with that one feather. If it proves to be useful then of course you will have to pull another from the comforter to have a matched pair, but the odds of finding a match with only one other feather is fairly low, soooo...now you are digging around in the comforter trying to find a mate for it. Before long you have a big pile of "tying Material", and empty comforter and an angry wife. Take Care, Tony

.....You can never have too many olive woolly buggers.........

.... IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED..........RELOAD......

#5 Robert M

Robert M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

Can anyone say softhackle seaducer. :rolleyes:

Soft fluffy feathers work great for crab, shrimp and baitfish patterns when done in the seaducer style
Baitfish:
http://www.outdoors....Album/552/13782
http://rmorger.tripo...le_seaducer.htm
http://www.fishnet.c...leseaducer.html

Add some mono eyes and a couple pieces of round rubber at the back hackles at the bend and you have a good shrimp imitation, one hackle feather at either end (bend and eye)and mono eyes in the middle and you have a sideways crab, split short hackles, mono eyes and some marabou at the bend and you have a crab also.
" Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing - after they have exhausted all other possibilities "
--Winston Churchill --

Bob/Oldgoat

#6 ExFed

ExFed

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

...A word to the wise...be careful with that one feather. If it proves to be useful then of course you will have to pull another from the comforter to have a matched pair, but the odds of finding a match with only one other feather is fairly low, soooo...now you are digging around in the comforter trying to find a mate for it. Before long you have a big pile of "tying Material", and empty comforter and an angry wife. Take Care, Tony

And don't get me started with tales of using hair pilfered from our Pomerainian. Both the dog and the wife were ticked off at me.

#7 Roofish

Roofish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

I have a Furminator & my Lab doesn't mind donating more than enough hair for everyone who ties flies LOL.......Lots & Lots of white flies,,,,,Thanx Max :)

Roofish