Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Pattern books

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Fish For Life

Fish For Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

What are some good pattern books out on the market.I have been tying my own creation flies for a while know and its time to make some actual flies.

Thanks

#2 SCOwens

SCOwens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Probably the best book I have purchased, but I do have plenty of others, it also assists with technique and other aspects, rather large book also

http://product.half....5933804&tg=info

#3 H Dot Verseman

H Dot Verseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I don't think a better midge pattern can be found than Rick Takahashi's Modern Midges, it contains a binder full of over a 1000 patterns. When you ask for a pattern book, this is a true pattern book in that it eliminates all but 2-3 how to tutorials. It is simply a book full of pattern recipes.

Other good books

Secret Flies of Czech and Slovak anglers, available through Jan Siman (excellent source of materials as well)

Randall Kauffman's book on Nymphs is really good, the name escapes me.

Charlie's Fly Box is pretty good as well

Essential Trout Flies- Hughes is good

Fly Pattern Encyclopedia by Beatty is good, has over 1600 recipes

These are several of the many that I own. A good starting point is to buy a big generalized one, work your way through that, and then mix in the specialized ones as you need or see fit.

Another good place to view flies is Charlie's Fly Box. He has a website with many pattern tutorials, and is one helluva fly tyer. YOu will learn alot.

Also- Davie Mcphail and others via youtube is a good place.

#4 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

The Randall Kaufmann books are pretty good - "Tying Nymphs" and "Tying Dry Flies". Good Step-By-Steps and photos.
Also "Fly Pattern Encyclopedia" from the Federation of Fly Fishers. Over 1600 patterns with Photos and recipes, no Step-By-Step. These are not your standard patterns, but rather a compilation of patterns from the Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave.
"Good Flies" by John Gierach. My favorite :D . Recipes and comments about each pattern. No Step-By-Step. Hand drawn pictures of each pattern. Kind of a "no nonsense" approach.
"Flies, Ties,& Techniques" by Charles Jardine. 50 patterns with recipes,with Step-By-Steps and comments on tactics and behavior for each one.
"Fly Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole. 100 Trout and Salmon flies with Step-By-Steps and good photographs.
You might also take a look at some videos.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#5 Hellgrammite

Hellgrammite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Essential Trout Flies by Hughes is outstanding, as is AK's fly box by AK Best.
I inherited an old violin and a painting, a Rembrant and a Stradivarius. It turns out Rembrant made lousy violins and Stradivari wasnt much of a painter.

#6 Bugsy

Bugsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Some that I have which feature plenty of recipes include:

The Flies of Umpqua Feather Merchants by Kaufmann
Flies: The Best 1000 by Stetzer
Flies for Trout by Stewart/Allen
Flies for Steelhead by ditto
Flies for Bass and Panfish by ditto
Trout Flies: The Tier's Reference by Hughes
Wet Flies by Hughes
The Book of Fly Patterns by Leiser
Western Trout Fly Tying Manual v1 & v2 by Dennis
Tying Flies with Jack Dennis & Friends
Dry Flies by LaFontaine
Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing by Bates
Fly Patterns of John Goddard by Goddard
Micropatterns by Martin

I have a good number of other general tying books with a variety of dressings, too. Most of my "pattern guides" are for steelhead and Atlantic salmon, though, and I didn't bother to list them.

Most of what you'll see available are specialized (e.g., nymphs, dries, streamers, tiny stuff, saltwater, etc...). I don't own either, but Saltwater Fly Patterns by Kreh and Modern Midges (mentioned by HdV above) are two excellent examples of such books.

You can find recipes for most of the old standards at various websites, including some retailers. If you have good libraries near you, a visit there should be on your list.

#7 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

"Trout Flies of the East" & "Trout Flies of The West" both by Ted Leeson & Jim Schollmeyer
"Inshore Flies" a saltwater pattern book by the same two fellows. :)

#8 oldtrout58

oldtrout58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

“The Fly Tier’s Benchside Reference” by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer is the most comprehensive reference manual the fly tying world has ever seen.

I copied and pasted the above.

#9 rolsen

rolsen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

“The Fly Tier’s Benchside Reference” by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer is the most comprehensive reference manual the fly tying world has ever seen.

Yes, but that book consentrates on different tying techniques, not patterns. Excellent book and I recommend that to all fly tiers :)

- Bad humor since seventies and counting -

#10 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Perrault's dictionary of fly patterns, a little different in the way it printed (no sbs) but with over 16,000 patterns.

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#11 perchjerker

perchjerker

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

I would add FISH FLIES The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art by Terry Hellekson. This is a compilation of his two volume FISH FLIES into one book.

#12 switch10

switch10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, no patterns in this one, but definitely the most comprehensive fly tying book I have ever seen. I also highly recommend this book.

As far as patterns, I own a few books, but mostly these days I have just been Googling the patterns that I am looking for. Sometimes, I also purchase a fly from my local shop to copy.

#13 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#14 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

plenty of books to choose from here. all of them are good, some better than others

https://www.google.c...8EfCN0QHZtYGYBQ
Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#15 hairwing

hairwing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Some from the shelf of my library. These books can be found on the internet...cheap!

Fishing Flies and Fly Tying, Blades
Trout, Bergman
Fly Tying, Sturgis
Flies, Leonard
How To Fish From Top To Bottom, Gordon
Noll Guide To Trout Flies, Noll
Match The Hatch, Schwiebert
Nymphs, Schwiebert
McClane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia, McClane
Selective Trout, Swisher and Richards
Art Flick's master fly tying guide, Flick
Salt Water Flies: popular patterns and how to tie them, Bay
Streamers and Bucktails the big fish flies, Bates
Hatches, Caucci and Nastasi

I don't know how many patterns in this list, but it's a bunch!

BTW...Someone got me a copy of "The Fly Tiers Reference" for xmas one year. Cost them something like $100 bucks. I brought it back. I didn't find a thing in there that was new. You can buy all the books I listed for less than that one book. YMMV.
"As far down the river as he could see, the trout where rising, making circles all down the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."-E.H. Big Two Hearted River
"As far as the eye could see,several hundred yards at least, the entire surface of the water was a mass of dimpling rise forms, occurring and recurring with increasing tempo as the evening advanced." V. Marinaro...A Modern Dry Fly Code.