Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly Tying Rooms

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'm with nick, if he uses a lot of epoxy or CA he could be working on one fly while the others are drying to save some time.

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#17 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

dont feel bad, my room is not that impressive either!

Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#18 mikechell

mikechell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Now we start getting humble, "My tying area isn't even a room!"

"When I was a younger tier, I had to mine my own metal for the hooks, smelt it and forge the hooks by hammer and anvil.  I had to kill and prepare all my own skins.  Weave and dye my own threads."  

"We didn't have fly rods then, I had to swim faster than the fish, hook it by hand and then I could bring it in hand over hand."

"Now I have a tying area, but it's just a hole in the ground covered by a twig."  (Courtesy, Monty Python's Flying Circus)

Barbed hooks rule!

#19 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, this could be kinda of a turn-off thread for a newcomer. My tying area as I'm getting started again lacks any organization at all. After looking at his setup I now know that the first priority for me is to get my feathers and components into some kind of logical pattern where I can find things. I do think it could make an interesting thread to have all the guys who have nice tying rooms, or corners, or holes in the ground, to take some pics or vids and let others see how you set up. Might get some good ideas out of that and everyone could benefit. Having just returned to tying again after years of other pursuits, my cubbyhole carved out of a corner of a crowded shed leaves me in awe of a setup as nice the guy in vid. And if this thread scares anyone off, stay out of motorcycle or firearm boards. 

#20 mikechell

mikechell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

LOL Vic ... good point about the "other" types of sites.

There are several threads, already running, about different tying areas, from portable set ups to full fledged workshops set up for more than one person.  Most of them are on THIS forum ... "The Fly Tying Bench".

Barbed hooks rule!

#21 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

I do think it could make an interesting thread to have all the guys who have nice tying rooms, or corners, or holes in the ground, to take some pics or vids and let others see how you set up. Might get some good ideas out of that and everyone could benefit.

there are threads on this forum that does exactly that

tons of ideas here

https://www.google.c...8PIPG0QGG-oGYBw

https://www.google.c...iw=1600&bih=775

https://www.google.c...iw=1600&bih=775

Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#22 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

here ya go;

Attached File  DSCF3360.JPG   42.19KB   33 downloads     Attached File  DSCF3361.JPG   54.9KB   42 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3357.JPG   57.66KB   42 downloads         Attached File  DSCF3359.JPG   50.07KB   40 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3362.JPG   51.4KB   39 downloads            Attached File  DSCF3368.JPG   58.89KB   37 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3363.JPG   50.06KB   37 downloads         Attached File  DSCF3364.JPG   50.88KB   32 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3365.JPG   41.2KB   31 downloads          Attached File  DSCF3366.JPG   39.39KB   32 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3367.JPG   58.34KB   32 downloads          Attached File  DSCF3369.JPG   50.91KB   32 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3370.JPG   41.13KB   36 downloads    Attached File  DSCF3371.JPG   28.88KB   37 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3372.JPG   32.1KB   30 downloads     Attached File  DSCF3368.JPG   58.89KB   19 downloads

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#23 mikechell

mikechell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Okay, as Sandflyx has shown ... some of these guys are a bit obsessive.  While not psychotic enough to be on the government's most wanted list, you wouldn't want to let them into a zoo unsupervised.

Barbed hooks rule!

#24 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

While not psychotic enough to be on the government's most wanted list.

wanna a bet ?

sandfly/bob

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688

#25 Flyunder

Flyunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

He don't know him very well do he?

May your thread never fray...

#26 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

My tying room just went through another transformation, once i can see the top of my desk again I will have to post another photo.

one of these days I will have to combine all the photos over the years to document the evolution of my room.

Joe

Predator Fly Outfitters

#27 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I do think it could make an interesting thread to have all the guys who have nice tying rooms, or corners, or holes in the ground, to take some pics or vids and let others see how you set up. Might get some good ideas out of that and everyone could benefit.

ask and ye shall receive

http://www.flytyingf...riesCat=Benches

Joe

Predator Fly Outfitters

#28 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanx for the links to pics guys. One of the things many/most newbies and bait fisherman (man I hate bait) do on a board new to them is to forget how handy the search feature is. We'll throw out a question or suggestion thinking it's a new idea that may have a dozen threads related to what we just asked. Being new to this board but not new to boards, I always use the example of a new board member on an MC board asking what OIL is best to use in their bikes. AARRGGHHH. When this is asked you can hear the crickets chirping even thru my tinnitus. I'll spend more time with the search feature but really appreciate looking thru the photos of other's benches. Yesterday I went out, took a look at mine, and decided to organize for real this time. I am good with woodwork and will look at several types of bench storage systems for keeping things where I need them instead of digging thru an inch or two of chicken feathers to find that whip finisher or scissors.

Thanx to all for such a great site for a re-entry tyer to get info and help.

#29 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

WOOD WORKER?  come out here and do some building in exchange for tying and casting...I suck at wood, now a small block chevy i can take apart almost blind folded and rebuild..

sandfly/bob

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688

#30 dreamcaster4639

dreamcaster4639

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip