Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

tying on teble hooks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Fish For Life

Fish For Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Anyone ever tried to tye on a treble hook. I was thinking that a good size treble would make a good pike fly. What you guys think.

Thanks

#2 green

green

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I've never tried it. Maybe use a couple different Colors of bucktail or marabouAttached File  Marabou Dressed Treble Hooks - Design Your Own.jpg   8.74KB   10 downloads

#3 bigdewy

bigdewy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Just remember to pay attention and don't let your mind wander!!smiley-char096.gif

#4 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Tying on trebles is not really needed for pike on fly. Lures are generally set with trebles cause that's tradition and they are tuned to swim right with that weight. A single hook will have no problem at all hooking pike, its easier to unhook from a fish, your net, yourself. Guess what im saying is don't bother.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#5 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Yes, I "dress" trebles all the time for the spinners I make.   More and more I am using single hooks too on spinners.  There's no rocket science involved in tying on a treble, but honestly for a real fly I don't think a treble is going to do you any better than a large single hook.  

Way back in the day, before anyone in our little town ever heard of "Joe's Flies" spinners, there was a person there who was making trout spinners he called "Short Strikers" and they were sold in all the bait shops and gas stations etc.   They were a French spinner (Mepps Aglia style) with a decently tied #6 or #8 wet fly with a small #14 or so treble looped on behind the tail.   They were killers and still are in the put-and-take streams and lakes.   I make a lot of those, and everyone really likes them.    I've done the same with large streamers too, putting a smallish treble back in the tail of the fly, on a doubled length of FireLine.  Sometimes they help, and sometimes they are just a pain in the a## due to tangles. 

Does anyone know

Where the Love of God goes

When the waves

Turn the minutes to hours?

#6 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Sorry I got off topic and Piker20 is absolutely correct.

Does anyone know

Where the Love of God goes

When the waves

Turn the minutes to hours?

#7 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I don't fish for Pike, but agree that trebles are not needed for flies. I use trebles on some lures, particularly bigger saltwater lures and dress them with either feathers or hair, but like Joel stated, more & more I'm using single hooks instead.

In some situations, trebles are more difficult to get a good hook set, even with spinning, trolling or baitcasting tackle, plus with the extra points on a treble, if a fish is flopping around a lot, there's a higher risk of ending up with one of those points in one of your body parts while trying to land the fish or remove the hook. Been there & done that, so I much prefer a single hook when practical. 

For the fishing I do, I would never use a treble for flies. 

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

I've tied some kind of flash or feathers on the tail hook of most of my hard plastic bassin' lures.  All of my hard plastic minnow imitations have "tails" that I've tied myself.

Barbed hooks rule!

#9 Peterjay

Peterjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

If you're having trouble hooking pike, try circle hooks. Treble-hooked flies are extremely dangerous for the fisherman and completely unnecessary.

#10 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Here's some trebles I've dressed for tail hooks on lures. Like Mikechell, I also like them on my minnow type lures! 

100_4320.jpg

100_4319.jpg

#11 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I don't like treble hooks, though I have tied many many salmon flies on them. I will do them if the customer insists, but I don't offer them.

If you are going to tie on trebles then get a short plastic tube, one from a cotton bud is ideal, and, using a length of mono or wire, pull a fine rubber band through it. The end result is two loops separated by the tube. When you come to form the head hold one loop and enlarge the other with your fingers. Place it over your bobbin and slide the tube up to make a tiny loop. Feed this over the eye of the hook and it will drag all the materials back. Form your head, and trim out your thread. Then just pull on the tube. The rubber band will come off the hook easily.

You don't have to do this. Try tying trebles as you would singles and you'll soon be making one up! It'll keep your blood on the inside where it belongs

Cheers,

C..

#12 C LeBo

C LeBo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I agree with Mikechell, i always dress out my Rap's and Crankbaits,even though it does limit the action. But when it comes to chasing larger fish, Swiash hooks are always the way to go, dressed or not, they penetrate easier, sink deeper, wont bend as much, and are safer. 

.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><(((((º< *
></(/(/(/*>.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><(((((º< *
.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸></(/(/(/(/)*< - - - ><(/(/(º>

Proud To Say That I've Never Bought A Fly In My Whole Life

#13 C LeBo

C LeBo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

P.S. Tidewater, where did ya get that schlappen, I really like the way it's dyed.

.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><(((((º< *
></(/(/(/*>.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><(((((º< *
.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸></(/(/(/(/)*< - - - ><(/(/(º>

Proud To Say That I've Never Bought A Fly In My Whole Life