Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Metal vs Ceramic

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Bobbin type

What type of bobbin do you use

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 switch10

switch10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

I use an assortment of all metal bobbins.  I have about 7 or 8 of them always loaded up.  2 of them shred my thread, especially the 8/0, so I use them for tinsel/wire and they work fine.

I would like to eventually start replacing the metal ones with ceramic ones, but it hasn't been that big of an issue for me.

#17 oldtrout58

oldtrout58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I use both, but I prefer ceramic.

#18 Johny Utah

Johny Utah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I am hopelessly addicted to my MP bobbin. :)   I used to use tiemco ceramic and gave ritt a go, but they dont measure up to the MP. imho

#19 SCOwens

SCOwens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

I am hopelessly addicted to my MP bobbin. smile.png   I used to use tiemco ceramic and gave ritt a go, but they dont measure up to the MP. imho

Whats an MP Bobbin

As to my answer I have a MFC Rainbow Trout Bobbin that I LOVE .... it's 4" and perfect for salty patterns, the rainbow print just adds to th appeal haha

#20 kimjensen

kimjensen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

Just got a C&F midge bobbin yesterday and I'm very positive about it. Only downside is that it's a little hard to thread because of the low diameter tube.
Kim.

#21 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I just use a cheap ole metal bobbin. I would like to have dozen or so but I don't. I am sure the ceramic tube bobbins are better and will probably never wear out. My guess is that they will break if dropped. Ceramic is quite brittle. My thoughts are that if the metal tube is properly polished and then well chrome plated they should work well and last a long, long time for tyers that only tie for themselves.

#22 Johny Utah

Johny Utah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I am hopelessly addicted to my MP bobbin. smile.png   I used to use tiemco ceramic and gave ritt a go, but they dont measure up to the MP. imho

Whats an MP Bobbin

A mp bobbin is a marc petijean quick thread bobbin. It is medal.

#23 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

MP-TT Bobbin,

I'v been afraid to try one (I might like it, then I'd need dozens!) Even though Marc is a friend of mine it would end up costing me a fortune.

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#24 Johny Utah

Johny Utah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

MP-TT Bobbin,

I'v been afraid to try one (I might like it, then I'd need dozens!) Even though Marc is a friend of mine it would end up costing me a fortune.

Cheers,

C.

haha, I love the thing, but I only have one, as the threading is so easy. Its nothing to change the spoil.  I have a bobbin graveyard thanks to the Mp. haha  But for sure, you only will need 1.

#25 bowfin47

bowfin47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I have bunch of bobbins (i.e. more than 10)  and most are Materilli's that I purchased in the early 80's...

Twice in 30 years of tying, I've had one "groove" (another reason that I hate Kevlar thread), but both times, with a little polishing with a scrap of emery cloth, they came back to as good as new.

The next bobbins and whip finishers that I purchase will also be Materilli...  

Yes, ceramic is better, but I've also dropped and broken ceramic tubes....

My metal tubes have never broken....

Co-Founder Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society
Life Member - Federation of Fly Fishers

FFF Member Since '84

#26 Flyunder

Flyunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I use metal bobbins with ceramic inserts.

My very first metal tubed bobbin always nicked my threads. Went to a shop and the guy said to use these^^^ and not to think about it again. That was over 25 years ago... he was right. Not one of them has ever broken.

May your thread never fray...

#27 nick2011

nick2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

i prefer the ceramic, metal ones always seem to fray my thread..

nick sipe

#28 Fly Fishing Russia

Fly Fishing Russia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

i prefer the ceramic, metal ones always seem to fray my thread..

"Poor man's ceramic" is glass.  My bobbin made of a glass medicine dropper is at least 15 years old, and it still works great!

Here you could see it together with other self-made tying tools.

Attached Files

#29 RoyalWulff

RoyalWulff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I use griffin ceramic bobbins mostly. I do have some metal tubed ones that I can use, but I prefer the plastic feet of the griffin. I have recently purchased a nor bobbin which is also ceramic. It has taken over much of my tying. 

[/b]Ontario/Newfoundland Canada

#30 rsimino

rsimino

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Metal, 90% of the time. They are cheap so I can have many thread colors ready to go.