Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Metal vs Ceramic

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Bobbin type

What type of bobbin do you use

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I use both but like the metal better,I've had more trouble with ceramic then I have with metal.

Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org

#32 oarfish

oarfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

I use griffin ceramic bobbins for thread but use metal for wire and lead.

Rick

#33 scott.bearden

scott.bearden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I exclusively use the nor-vise automatic bobbin with the exception of spools of wire, in which I have a couple of rite-bobbins that I love dearly and need the ceramic tube due to the wire's ability to chew through metal tubes.

#34 mybadhabit

mybadhabit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I use ceramic for thread, metal for all others, can't beat ceramic, never cuts or frays the thread, no matter how small.

Blane

#35 salty fly

salty fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

You should had a bolth box to check. I use a ceramic for thread And a metal one for wire.

keep on chuckin'
Bryan Hibbert

AKA'Salty fly'

Surf fish bum

#36 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,171 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Ceramic only

I find it unnecessary to wrap wire etc with a bobbin holder
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#37 Randyflycaster

Randyflycaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

I'm using mostly metal now because they're cheap and I have a lot of them loaded with different threads. So far they have cut or frayed my thread, but
maybe they will soon.

Randy

#38 Ty Flyer

Ty Flyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

I have a heavy duty ceramic bobbin. I like the ceramic because it cannot cut the thread, which is very good. you certainly don't want your bobbin to cut the thread in the middle of a fly, especially when spinning deer hair.

Every Day is a Good Day To Fish,                                                 
                                      Just Some Days you catch more.

#39 DrinkSmokeFish

DrinkSmokeFish

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Tiemco Ceramic is my workhorse.  Have a few older ceramic insert bobbins (griffin, dr slick) and a few older all-stainless ones that see very little action.

#40 #1 Troutfisherman

#1 Troutfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:32 PM

Tiemco Ceramic, the best all round bobbin made

carlp5351

X2

X3