Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wingless Inland Steelhead Patterns

7 replies to this topic

#1 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Dead drifted and lifted in front of sighted fish these can be quite deadly.  I generally tie them on #8 - #10's.  Easy ties and easy to adjust to your color scheme.  I fish these single and unweighted on a switch rod or use a weighted fly a little higher up the leader to get them down if needed.

Woolworthy Flymphs.jpg

woolworthy flymph blue.jpg

Gamebird Flymph.jpg

woolworthy flymph purple thorax.jpg

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#2 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

They look good. They would all work well on seatrout here.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

#3 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

great ties as always Carl the second from the last looks like it would be great in the fall like a flesh fly

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#4 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thanks guys.

Piker, I was curious if they might work for sea trout.

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Especially the blue one and I like the third one down best. I'll pinch the idea and hopefully post some fishy pics with one. I'm going to have to remember my camera this year.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

#6 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

The third one down I call "The Gamebird".  English grouse hackle, french partridge (Chukar) tail, gold rib and hare dubbing.  Very simple.

#7 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,168 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

still looks like a chunk of decaying salmon to me

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#8 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

Chumming is not allowed in Oregon.  wink.png

Reply to this topic