Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How long is a spool?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FlyTieDad

FlyTieDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Does anyone know how long a spool of UTC Ultra wire is?

I've looked around several websites and I can't seem to find the answer.

Most treads tell you but I can't find it for wire.

Thanks,

FlyTieDad

#2 Bugsy

Bugsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Wapsi better know!

http://www.wapsifly.com/contact.html

#3 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

30 yards  for medium

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#4 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

About 1/10 th what it should be for the money!

Cheers,

C.

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

12 yards for small

http://www.jannsnetc...yes/620521.aspx

Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#6 Ugly Bob

Ugly Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Never enough!

Baldwin Travelers

#7 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

No colors but you can get a lifetime supply by buying commercially. Coke can for scale.

DSC04376_zpsf359aae0.jpg

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#8 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,134 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

now thats a lifetime worth for 10 tiers

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#9 SSC

SSC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

You can get colors also, try the big auction site under "magnet wire" .  Comes in different gauges also, not quite the color selection of ultrawire but cheaper if you need alot

#10 mikechell

mikechell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I've looked around several websites and I can't seem to find the answer.

Most treads tell you but I can't find it for wire.

Thanks,

FlyTieDad

I just measured mine ... although it's not UTC wire, I am assuming the spool is close to the same.  Mine is 1.25 inches long from end to end.  If you need the diameter too, it's approximately 0.75 inches in diameter.  I couldn't get that measurement accurately, as the wire is in the way.

Barbed hooks rule!

#11 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

For coloured copper wire take a look at the beading suppliers. I use them in lots of colours from 0.3mm diameter down. The spools are approx 100 yards for £1. That's less than half the cost of Ultra Wire (the last spool I bought was £2.20). Some of the retailers call this "Tiger Tail". Not the kind of bulk SilverCreek has his in but a good supply for less than half the price of Ultra Wire. This site is a great source for various wires.

As with thread, the most expensive part is the spool and putting it on the spool.

Cheers,

C.

#12 FlyTieDad

FlyTieDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

This is all great info. The reason I was asking is like many of you already found for yourselves. I was hoping to use alternative sources. I just found this posted on an old thread here. UTC size = Diameter (inches) = AWG for enameled wire Extra small = .004 = 38-40 Small = .007 = 34 Brassie = .009 = 32 Medium = .014 = 28 Large = .017 = 26 Is the wire for fly tying coated to protect against water? FlyTieDad

#13 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

obviously the colored soft copper ultra wires are coated

what are you asking in your statement?

the length of the wire on the spool?

spool dimensions?

Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#14 FlyTieDad

FlyTieDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

obviously the colored soft copper ultra wires are coated

what are you asking in your statement?

the length of the wire on the spool?

spool dimensions?

I was asking the length of the wire.

#15 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

The best place to get bulk wire at the best price, or even for free is an electrical shop that repairs/rewinds electric motors and generators. They buy wire in bulk spools and at the end of a spool there is not be enough wire left to rewind a motor. The remaining wire is useless to them, but a lifetime supply for us.

I've picked up those spool ends for free or for only a few bucks for the copper salvage fee.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v