Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Henrys Fork, South Fork of Snake--Dry Fly

Im going with the wife at the end of the month to Jackson Hole. She has a conference out there. While she is in the conference Im going to fish Henrys Fork one day and the South Fork of the Snake one day. Im a relative newcomer to the trout world and the only trout I have caught have come from southern tailwaters. Additionally, I have never caught a trout on a dry fly. I plan on tying an Adams or Adams parachute to take with me. I also have some elk hair caddis that I have tied as well. I would like recommendations for another dry fly to take with me that is an overall good pattern that works well in a variety of conditions. I don't have the time to tie a bunch of different stuff so I am looking toward general purpose (searching or whatever you want to call it). My goal is to catch a fish on my dry fly get a pic, clip the fly, and frame the two. Thanks in advance.

check out the winning flies of the jackson hole one fly contests and tie some up

Winning Flies

1986 Lime Trude
1987 Dry Muddler Minnow
1988 Western Coachman
1989 George’s Brown Rubber Leg Stone
1990 Turck Tarantula
1991 Adams Wulff
1992 Double Bunny
1993 Double Bunny
1994 Double Bunny
1995 Chernobyl Ant
1996 Tasmania Tarantula
1997 Rubber Leg Woolly Bugger
1998 Rusty Spinner
1999 Amy’s Ant
2000 John’s Skwala Stone
2001 Willy’s Red Ant
2002 Orange Crush
2003 Peachy BMOC (Big Man On Campus)
2004 Jimmy Z
2005 BSF (Bob’s Stonefly)
2006 San Juan Worm
2007 N/A
2008 Barnett’s Red Ant

https://www.google.com/search?q=jackson+hole+one+fly+winning+flies&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dPWtUfygC4TOrQfi04DoBw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1250&bih=630

Purple haze is a good all-around pattern but might be too similar for you to the para Adams if you are only taking 3 dry patterns.

I would pay close attention to size! You may have the right pattern but if it isn't really the right size or very close to it, it will be equally ineffective as a stonefly in a caddis hatch. Just my 2 cents...

Certain sections of the Henrys Fork can prove to be extremely technical...these guys pretty much have it dialed in...and it is a good place to do research...

http://www.trouthunt.com/fly-fishing/henrys-fork

flytire has provided some good suggestions...especially for the South Fork

Let's see the photos !!!

PT/TB

Part 1

You are headed to Trout Country...Trude Country...Hairwing Territory, at the peak of bug emergence! Thumbs +1 for that. All kinds of top water dry fly possibilities. Too bad your only going to be there a few days. Here's my personal choice for a pattern, and believe me it would be the only fly I would need to fish. Here's some backup internet chatter if you need some solid evidence and confidence..... http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=5035....and the SI article ....http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1081385/1/index.htm

015-2.jpg

Part 2

Taking a trout on the dry fly is not all about the fly/pattern either. You MUST have some casting skills for a slack line presentation to fish moving water. If you are not tuned up in your casting skills I would suggest that you learn at least one cast so you don't get too overwhelmed. Here's Carl Mc Neil on the Pile, Puddle,Parachute Cast. Just remember to cast the forward loop angling up and follow the line down to the water.You don't want a straight leader!
The fly is tied on a 2xl long shank hook and I like size #14 and #12 fished on a 9ft.-12ft. leader with a 4x tippet 24 to 30 inches long. I don't care what your rod, line,reel specs are, fish what you got. Sharpen your hooks! That fly and that cast will catch you your first trout on the dry fly. Guaranteed.
Enjoy your first dry fly trout!

Thanks guys. I went on my trip and slayed them. I caught 100 or so on the snake mostly cutthroat but caught a few bows and 1 brown. Most between 15-20 inches. I fished the next day on the Teton only caught about 20 biut most were on a dry fly or dry and dropper. I caught a few when it got hot and sunny on a streamer with a full sink line. I fished I. Idaho. Ill try to post some pics later with a thanks to flytyingfreak who set me up with my guide who is a member of the USA flyfishing team.