Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

up or down stream

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: up or down stream

Do you walk up or down stream when fishing?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fish For Life

Fish For Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

When you are fly fishing do you walk up the stream against the current or down the stream with the current?

#2 Spanky29ca

Spanky29ca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

I prefer to walk upstream myself, since trout are usually facing upstream I can watch them feed while sneaking up behind them.
th_522f8c22d127787e38a0b9454e23cd11_zps9

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

Upstream would be my first choice. I've found pike and perch much more willing to chase down a downstream fleeing fly than an upstream swimming one.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#4 DUBBN

DUBBN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

I prefer to nymph upstream, and throw streamers downstream on my way back to the truck.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

When fishing minnow imitations, I move downstream, fishing the minnow upstream against the current.  Watching minnows flee, they always swim upstream.

Bugs, on the other hand, drift with the current, usually.

Since I usually fish from a boat, both directions are available to me at all times, so I didn't vote.

Barbed hooks rule!

#6 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

I would not say minnows always swim upstream. Maybe its a hemisphere thing, bit like which way toilet flushes. I've definately found the downstream presentation better for UK predators.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#7 brookiehunter

brookiehunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I have always had way more luck fishing upstream.  

#8 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

If you're fishing ONLY one way or the other, you are not a very good fisherman. 

Does anyone know

Where the Love of God goes

When the waves

Turn the minutes to hours?

#9 heavynets

heavynets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

I do both because I have to get back to the car. I prefer to start out going upstream because the fish are generally facing that direction, but mainly it's because when I'm tired and ready to go back, it's a lot easier to go downstream.

When doing a float trip, I prefer to go downstream.

#10 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'll fish up or down stream for casting, but as far as wading, prefer to wade upstream. Not so much because of the way the fish face, but mud & debris stirred up while wading makes it difficult to impossible to see the bottom, and I don't like not being able to see where I'm going. I've tripped over obstacles in the muddy water & been dunked a few times, and don't really like it much. dry.png

Wading upstream is safer IMO! smile.png

#11 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

I do both, depending on what the fish are most responsive to. Many times, a down stream presentation, where one is not "lining" the fish, will be successful with dries, wets, and nymphs. I let those guys be the arbiters of how I am going to work the water...

PT/TB

Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#12 hairwing

hairwing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

It would be a good thing to understand the trout's (or any fishes) senses before you approach them or make wading decisions. Just about every fishing book will include what the fish senses are and how it will help you catch them....here's one example:

Pay particular attention to the trout's window and what he can see and how the fish uses it's lateral line.

"As far down the river as he could see, the trout where rising, making circles all down the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."-E.H. Big Two Hearted River
"As far as the eye could see,several hundred yards at least, the entire surface of the water was a mass of dimpling rise forms, occurring and recurring with increasing tempo as the evening advanced." V. Marinaro...A Modern Dry Fly Code.

#13 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

I go both so I didn't vote it all depends on the fish

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#14 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

If you're fishing ONLY one way or the other, you are not a very good fisherman. 

That was blunt!ohmy.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

But probably right on!

Shoebop

"...On a mission from God!"  Elmwood Blues

#15 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Mostly I would walk in an upstream direction. As fishing is mostly done from a fixed start / finish point this means walking back. If I want to fish I as I walk back I do it in a series of loops. Walk to the bottom of the pool and fish up it, then walk to the pool below and fish up that. Of course this is trout fishing. Salmon fishing is usually done walking downstream, two good paces after each cast is considered good manors if someone else is waiting to fish the pool. Of course that doesn't mean that people do it...

Cheers,

C.