Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

pill vials

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

do you reuse them for any tying materials?

i throw away quite a few monthly but was wondering of any reuse.

i know they would be ok for dubbing and beads and hooks but what else?

i dont think i'd want to have a shitload of these on my tying station

pill-bottle-pile-7-19-12.jpg

Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#2 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

I've been using them for flies lately. Convenient and waterproof for sturdy flies for quick trips. Lately it has been foam hoppers. I also don't have to worry about one of my kids losing a fly box. I also use one as an oversized hair stacker and have another stuffed with steel wool for a bodkin cleaner. They are a good substitute for 35mm film canisters.

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

wink.png Good Idea Riff passed on an earlier thread. Crush some silica beads, the sort you find with new shoes to keep out moisture and fill a tub with them. Cut a slit in the lid to take your tippet and then you can dunk the dry fly in the silica, put lid on and shake it all about and stays dry.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#4 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Two of many uses I have found.   I use them as "prescription" fly boxes.  I put gift flies in them, and I even make a label that says:  "Cast two in water to relieve stress repeat as necessary." 

I find that two spools of thread fit in many, and then I can screw lids to make a 4 stack of similar thread.  I don't like leaving extra thread out to collect dust.  Also wire, floss, and other spooled materials.  You could drill holes in the sides to make dispensers.    I cut the end off a couple, then cut the bottom off one of those. Then I slit that one (slice out about 1/4th to 1/2 inch.  Slip a razor blade in side the whole bottle, and slide the slit bottle in that to make a curved hair trimmer.  

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#5 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Crush some silica beads, the sort you find with new shoes to keep out moisture and fill a tub with them. Cut a slit in the lid to take your tippet and then you can dunk the dry fly in the silica, put lid on and shake it all about and stays dry.

I heard of this before

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#6 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

If you can't steal good ideas what's the world come to? I wasn't sure it would work too good but I'm pleased to say it does.

Matthew 25: 35-36

"Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn’t even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back.”

"No man ever steps in the same river twice"   — Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#7 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

I wouldn't steer you wrong my friend

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#8 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

They are a good substitute for 35mm film canisters.

You're going to confuse a whole load of noobs with words like that. 

"Film canister? What's film?"

Does anyone know

Where the Love of God goes

When the waves

Turn the minutes to hours?

#9 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

I use them in my fly shop. put them in a box for customers to put flies in..

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#10 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

If they are the kind that you can rotate the top on then screw or glue either plastic pipe or dowel to the inside of the lid, cut a slot in the body, and wrap the pipe / dowel with the hook side of Velcro. Carry it with you while fishing, and when you change tippet put the end of the old tippet through the slot and turn the lid.

Cheers,

C.