Fly Tying
Goduster

Wolff Ind Atlas vise

"These were formerly known as Anvil USA vises but Wolff Indiana which was the manufacturer of them for Anvil USA purchased the rights from them to continue to sell directly as Anvil USA was going in another direction with their product line."

i cant see any photos of them in the link (at work security blocks them) so what is the big difference now since wolff indiana was making them anyway??

from the wollf website

"Wolff Industries, Inc. purchased the manufacturing assets of Vogel Brothers Corporation, the owners of Anvil USA in January 2013. Vogel Brothers Corporation and Anvil USA are well known manufacturers in the fly tying industries. Don & David Vogel carried on the 300 year old family tradition of cutlery manufacturing at Vogel Brothers. Don Vogel decided to focus on the barber, beauty, grooming and fly tying scissors business splitting off Anvil USA from Vogel Brothers Corporation and will run that business with his wife, Barbara.

Wolff Indiana, LLC will continue to manufacture the fly tying vises and other specialty products for our industrial customers in this Columbus, Indiana factory. We are pleased to let you know that David Vogel is working for Wolff Indiana as our Vice President of Research and Development. We have also added a second mill turn to increase production of the fly tying vises and will use this equipment as we develop new products."

I just bought one a couple weeks ago and in my opinion that review is spot on. Bobbin cradle should be included but you can get one for around $12-$15. For the price I don't believe you will find anything better. Well made.

I can actually include the bobbin cradle for under 10.00. We are discussing with them the inclusion of the cradle with the package.

i cant see any photos of them in the link (at work security blocks them) so what is the big difference now since wolff indiana was making them anyway??

I don't believe there are any major differences, from what I can tell its the same vise as when it was Anvil branded.

I just bought one a couple weeks ago and in my opinion that review is spot on. Bobbin cradle should be included but you can get one for around $12-$15. For the price I don't believe you will find anything better. Well made.

I would really like to see a bobbin cradle like the Danvise flip down one. Unfortunately the Danvise one does not fit the stem on the Atlas straight off or I'd use that one. I may try and make some form of adapter to make it work, although the cradle I have on there now seems to be just fine.

I've been tying like a madman on this vise, so much that I decided not to return it to Ron!

I modified the Peak material spring clip to fit the 5/16" neck of the vise, and it works great.

My preferred setup of the vise is to setup the 2 knobs in the "left hand" configuration so they are on the backside of the vise when tying. This keeps them out of the way and lets me palm the top of the vise easier when placing materials but I can still lock it out with half a turn. The knob on the jaws being on the back just gets it out of the way until needed.

swellcat, I've tied down to 28 on mine so far without any problems. The biggest issue with hooks is very large hooks and getting them in the perfect spot so they are rock solid hold. Small hooks sit right in the tips and have no problems for me.

Got the Apex for a travel vise. It's very good and easy to use. It was noted in the review that the head has a slight amount of wiggle, which doesn't affect the holding power or anything else. It holds hooks well, the grooves are well placed for larger hooks and the jaws are small enough to handle small hooks, at least as small as I tie. Gets better with the using.

swellcat, I've tied down to 28 on mine so far without any problems.

Must be operator error, then. (Several wee 3906s became projectiles this evening.)

swellcat, I've tied down to 28 on mine so far without any problems.

Must be operator error, then. (Several wee 3906s became projectiles this evening.)

You might be trying to clamp the hook with too little actual hook in the jaws, or have it adjusted too tight.