Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Losthackle

A crabby question

I've just learnt that there are some crab feeding trout in our local estuary. I've never tied a crab fly before, so I am open to suggestions as to flies.

I've noticed that some crabs are tied with the claws to the side, some to the rear and some to the front. Is there some logic to this? For instance, the sideways tie for a moving crab; to the rear (with weight at the eye) for a static, threatened crab; to the front for ???

Any and all advice welcome.

Lost hackle-

I've tied and used a pattern similar to the "Merkin" crab. It imitates a crab walking or fleeing sideways for cover. I would "Google" merkin crab on the internet

and this forum for a pattern. Olive, grey, and medium brown patterns each have been effective for me.

You might also take a look at crawfish patterns such as Whitlock's "Neernuff" (spelling?). Crawfish patterns usually have large "claws" made from zonker strips and/or CDC. Just a thought.

Bill

I agree with the merkin, it's a saltwater favorite for redfish, tarpon, permit, and anything else that eats crabs. The claws are really unnecessary on a lot of crab patterns like the merkin or tarpon toad. I think it's more important to use materials with good action like marabou or arctic fox. On a coin sized crab a bigger fish probably takes no notice of the claws but only focuses on the body, it's target

I'm not convinced fish take the flies as crabs more than simple because the materials move well and they are attracted to movement. Many fish take crabs in their molting stages when they are soft and give off a smell the fish like. Flies can't mimick that. Tie up some merkins and also some bann shrimp style flies.

when they are soft and give off a smell the fish like. Flies can't mimick that.

give the fly a squirt of Gulp! or other scent (like the entire rest of the angling world would) and they sure can.

I like to dredge this issue up at least once a year... :)

Peeler crabs, as they are called in the UK for sea anglers are a hugely expensive bait, often costing a couple of pounds each, so far no one has developed a scent that seems to work, dip spray or liquid so if anyone out there manages it it'll be the biggest thing since sliced bread.

I used this one on reds this past fall, and the fish were all over it. No reason why it wouldn't work on other species in the appropriate sizes. Couple things to watch out for with crab flies: you'll see a lot of super-realistic patterns that look great, but have no movement whatsoever in the water. Impressionistic patterns with materials that have some movement are a much better bet. The pattern shown here is retrievable with lots of action. Also, if you use eyes, they have to be light enough that they don't flip the hook. (unless you want them to) Plastic or burned mono will work best in that regard. As mentioned above, merkin-style flies are good producers, but I prefer unweighted flies whenever possible, especially in shallow water. Fish in the shallows are vulnerable, and they know it. It doesn't take much to send them scooting for the safety of deeper water, and an unweighted fly will land a lot more lightly than something with lead eyes.

post-281-0-97570300-1387556289_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-22572100-1387556308_thumb.jpg

Look up "merkin" in the dictionary. It will give you a new appreciation for Del Brown's humor.

I'd always wondered why he changed the name until I saw the word "merkin" used in another context. Guess the catalogs wouldn't use the original name.

I got crabs from PJ once, didn't look as nice as the ones pictured though ohmy.png The nice thing about the ones he pictured is that they provide profile and motion, I can see how they caught plenty O fish.

These are tied with nothing more than a little flash and an EP Crustacean brush

IMGP1071_zps906e8564.jpg

IMGP1076_zpsf5861efa.jpg

This one has claws made from craft suede

IMGP1068_zps1b932d48.jpg

Deer Hair Slider Crab

IMGP0281.jpg

Google saltwater crab flies and you'll find plenty of great patterns. Also look at Kwan flies and redfish toads, both killer patterns.

If you want, PM me your address and I'll send some flies to try. I wasn't able to fish this last summer and won't be able to get out on the water until late March and I have tons of flies collecting dust… Besides I need to make room for the flies I keep tying biggrin.png

BTW, don't let PJ fool you, he bis very familiar with Merkins

unexplainableyk1.jpg

Jeez, there's no need to be abusive Dave. That picture was taken during my footwear modeling days; I was young and foolish, and I needed the money. Obviously, you haven't walked in my shoes.

Hey, I like those flies a lot. Good to see you haven't lost your touch.

BTW - swimming crabs travel sideways when they get up a full head of steam, but when a predator catches them unawares, they'll slowly move backwards in a defensive posture. I slow the retrieve in that situation and let the fly sink, with just a twitch or two to move the claws - that usually does the trick.

And he is quite stylish...love the shoes and the tiger G-string.