Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTyer15

Perch Flies (yellow perch)

For yellow perch i have had great success with wire worms. In fact any type of worm patterns work great. Honestly for perch almost any fly will work just fine, there not picky. If you were going to tye flys just for them then i would recommend something with a bit of flash, from my experience size 16-14 flys with brightly dubbed bodies and a flashy tail work great. Sorry i don't have any pictures, ill see if i cant take some tonight.

What are the the lakes that your are fishing for perch in??

Pigeon, Twin, Phyllis, Some northern lakes, and I might be going across Canada so it want to get perch on my fly rod. I tie some flies for a friend that has copper for a body but has a pheasant tail collar. do you think that would work?

Pigeon, Some northern lakes, and I might be going across Canada so it want to get perch on my fly rod. I tie some flies for a friend that has copper for a body but has a pheasant tail collar. do you think that would work?

Ya im sure a fly like that will work great, a nice flashy copper body will be good, maybe instead of pheasant tail you could try some peacock! honestly practically any fly that gets in front of a perches nose will work. ive caught some of the smallest perch on some of my biggest flys and some jumbo perch on some of my smallest. They are kind of like pike, an aggressive fish that will try and eat anything. I haven't tried pigeon all that much, whenever im there im normally going for some fun walleye action. Have you tried burnstick lake before??

Try Mickey Finns size #8 to 10 on a long shank hook and sparse white bucktails over silver tinsel.

Rocco

Pigeon, Some northern lakes, and I might be going across Canada so it want to get perch on my fly rod. I tie some flies for a friend that has copper for a body but has a pheasant tail collar. do you think that would work?

Ya im sure a fly like that will work great, a nice flashy copper body will be good, maybe instead of pheasant tail you could try some peacock! honestly practically any fly that gets in front of a perches nose will work. ive caught some of the smallest perch on some of my biggest flys and some jumbo perch on some of my smallest. They are kind of like pike, an aggressive fish that will try and eat anything. I haven't tried pigeon all that much, whenever im there im normally going for some fun walleye action. Have you tried burnstick lake before??

no i havent. i looked at it awhile ago. is it any good?

around hear its about as good perch fishing as your gona get. Unless you drive a good 2-3 hours away. Nothing all that big but lots oof medium sized fish. It makes for a good fun day out perch fishing.

around hear its about as good perch fishing as your gona get. Unless you drive a good 2-3 hours away. Nothing all that big but lots oof medium sized fish. It makes for a good fun day out perch fishing.

have you ice fished it?

have you ice fished it?

Thats about all ive done on it. Ive been fly fishing there a few times in the summer but about 99% of my fishing there is ice fishing. Most days its non stop action, fish after fishing coming up, than again some days you will go and not see single fish. Most of the time you can see them through your hole, its fun being able to see the schools of perch swimming around swarming your hook.

have you ice fished it?

Thats about all ive done on it. Ive been fly fishing there a few times in the summer but about 99% of my fishing there is ice fishing. Most days its non stop action, fish after fishing coming up, than again some days you will go and not see single fish. Most of the time you can see them through your hole, its fun being able to see the schools of perch swimming around swarming your hook.

were you fishing near the campground at the dam or further out?

My go-to yellow perch imitation is a fur strip clouser, tied with a white bucktail belly, a black-barred yellow zonker strip tail, perch flashabou and an olive bucktail back. Very simple to tie, yet very effective as well.

Disregard that, misinterpreted the thread. My favorite flies for yellow perch are small-ish clousers, woolly buggers, and larger hare's ear nymphs and damsel/dragonfly nymphs, basically the same flies I use for crappie.

I don't really specifically fish for Yellow Perch, as when I'm fishing for them, I'm also fishing for White Perch, Crappies & other panfishes at the same time. They all inhabit the waters I fish. In the warmer months I prefer surface flies for Bluegills, but subsurface catches more & bigger fish, and especially when the waters are still cold, like early spring.

As stated they're not particular, but the suggestion of having some flash is what seems to work best for me. I use patterns such as Clousers, Crazy Charlies, Gotcha's & various other flies. Even some down sized Steelhead patterns. I particularly like the Clouser or "bonefish" type flies because they ride with the hook up & snag less.

Woolly Buggers in all the various forms also work well. I primarily use hooks in the size 8 to 2 range for these flies, and the Perches & Crappies have no problem with even size 2 hooks. I like the bigger hooks because I don't have to worry as much about fish swallowing the hook too deep.

Here's some of my fly boxes with flies I use for Perch & crappies.

Steelhead & Shad flies

100_4257.jpg

shadflies006.jpg

shadflies008.jpg

100_4073.jpg

100_4132.jpg

100_4622.jpg

Flashy buggers.

100_4256.jpg

100_3861.jpg

100_4625A_zpsce51c4e1.jpg

100_4619.jpg

Simple streamers for shallow water or use with sinking lines.

100_4519.jpg

Bonefish type flies, all flashy.

100_4449-1.jpg

100_4454.jpg

100_4453.jpg

100_4452.jpg

100_4451.jpg

100_4450.jpg

Other patterns.

100_4247A.jpg

shadflies010.jpg

100_4648_zps4c2ff2f2.jpg