Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Clyde Style spiders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fife404

fife404

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hi I'm new to fly tying. Can I tie spiders in a dry and a wet pattern and if so what hooks should I be using for each and is it hen for wet and dry for cock hackle and is a single or a double hackle.
Many thanks

#2 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I'm relatively new myself but I've tied several spiders.  I'd assume that if you use a foam body, it's going to float (i.e., dry).  If you use dubbing for a body, or wrap with wire, or use a bead head, it would sink, altho I've never seen a "wet" spider.  My advice is go ahead and try it, then fish with it and see if the fishies like it.  And what hook you use would be determined by what kind of fish you're catching.  They're really good on bluegills!

Good luck

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#3 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Grey-Hen-&-Yellow1.jpgClyde style spiders are by definition a wet fly. They are lightly dubbed and very sparsely hackled like this one. They are not spiders (arachnids).

Shoebop

#4 fife404

fife404

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

Hi thanks for that guys . I thought they might be wets but I got confused over some seeming to have a double hackle at the head.