Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Floatants. Presoak or on the water?

Just looking for folks opinions. To this point I have only used gink on the water to help dry flies stay dry. This year I am looking at being prepared by applying stuff to the materials pre tying or the flies when tied that might be better.

I'm looking at Loon Hydrostop or Watershed as two pre fishing applications.

I'm also looking at CDC Gel as I am using more CDC in the flies these days.

Do folk prefer one method over another? Apply a waterproofer pre fishing or stick to stuff on the water,

Watershed at the vise, Aquel or Shimazaki paste on the stream. Would not recommend either for CDC flies, however. One of the reasons I do not use much CDC on dries is that it is too high maintenence for the types of waters I fish.

CdC oil or gel is not intended as a floatant for CdC flies! The idea is that it will prevent the fly becoming wet and slimed up when you take a fish. It cuts down on the maintenance, and frequency you have to change them.

Cheers,

C.

Yeah I expect CDC flies to have a limited water time but thought the oil would help prolong it. To be honest I haven't found gink to ruin them much but know its not the done thing.

Most floatants specify that you should apply them at least 20 minutes before fishing the fly. That said, I usually apply floatant right before I cast the fly, and occasionally while I'm fishing. It should be worked into the body more than the hackles.

I've not had much luck with CDC flies. They look good, but just don't do well, at least for me, as dry flies. I've been told, though, that you should never apply floatant to CDC, just a desicant like Frogs Fanny.

Most floatants specify that you should apply them at least 20 minutes before fishing the fly. That said, I usually apply floatant right before I cast the fly, and occasionally while I'm fishing. It should be worked into the body more than the hackles.

I've not had much luck with CDC flies. They look good, but just don't do well, at least for me, as dry flies. I've been told, though, that you should never apply floatant to CDC, just a desicant like Frogs Fanny.

This seems to be the many quoted rule for CDC. Maybe I am buying CDC from wet ducks or something cause I agree, they never seem to float well. I just gink the body up same as every other dry and off I go. This year I have tried harder with my CDC flies and plan to fish them as per the RULE.

I also have followed Pauls tip (RiffleRiverSteelheadSlayer) and crushed some sillica balls in a small container that I can drop the damp fly in and shake and bake to dry it out.

Try these and using CDC patterns will be much more enjoyable...

...cut and paste the above link to learn how to easily dry a CDC pattern with a rubberband

https://www.loonoutdoors.com/products.html#lochsa

I also use Frog's Fanny and Dry Shake

PT/TB

I treat my CdC at the vise with oil. I assume by the time the CdC gets to me it's been washed and perhaps dyed.

On the water, I used Dry Magic on CdC. Expensive, but it's the only floatant I've carried for the last three years. I still carry dessicant and some fake amadou to dry flies after releasing.