Fly Tying
dawgvet

New base on Renzetti Traveler?

I just purchased a new Renzetti Traveler 2200 vise from Cabelas and was pleasantly surprised to see that the base was different from the ones I've seen on Travelers before.

The base I received is a two-piece unit with a wider flatter base and a stem collar that is held on with an Allen screw up from the bottom. The previous bases were narrower and a one-piece unit. The new base was a welcome sight as the narrow base on previous Travelers was a drawback.

Just wondering when this change took place? I like the new base better as it seems much more stable than the one on friends' vises that I had tried before.

Thanks

Jed

....wonder if someone made an error and gave you the "Presentation" pedestal???

P2000_standard_Pbase_zoom.jpg

Enjoy your upgraded version!

You didn't get the standard Traveller base. I got a Renzetti Traveler for Christmas, and it has the base pictured in Bugsy's comment.

However, I use a Griffin pedestal that I bought for my old Mongoose. It's nice and heavy - heavier than the Traveller base.

Both my vises only have C-clamps. I see that Cabelas has a pedestal base listed for $19. Anyone know whether this base is stable? I don't think either of my vises came with a pedestal base option, and I never actually thought about it until I already had them. With the C-clamp, I either have to mount my vise on the left side of my table, or in front. I'd rather work more in the middle.

I checked pics of Presentation bases and that looks exactly like what I got! Very nice surprise as I contemplated the Presentation for that very reason. I am curious if this is new standard or just ran short on Traveler bases.

Overall, I really like this vise and am glad I chose it over the Peak and Dyna-Kings. I tie mainly small trout flies and the smaller jaws and better access to the bend of the hook we my deciding factors. Also like I can tie from really tiny to really big on one set of jaws.

Renzetti recently changed the base for the Traveler Series and the Presentation Series. The one for the traveler is bigger than before but not as big as the Presentation. They made that change early spring. it gave them better control in QC and also inventory.