Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

CDC oiler puffs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wilcara

wilcara

"Wolfish"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:20 AM

I got a pack of CDC oiler puffs in a package of tying materials I ordered by mail order. I have used CDC quite a bit on various flies, but these "puffs" are quite different to what I am used to. What flies do you guys use these "puffs" for? I got a natural grey colour. Your thoughts will be appreciated. smile.gif
Cheers - Chris

IPB Image

IPB ImageDon't blame me - I was raised by wolves in the Tasmanian highlands.

#2 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 01:04 AM

Hi Wilcara,
When the air is thick with midges and no-see-um's I put them in my nose and ears.
Just kidding. I would think they would work well for imerger's, or maybe a suspended black, gold ribbed, midge body hanging below a floating grey puff?
Graham

#3 Sawcat

Sawcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:26 AM

I trap them in a dubbing loop and wind a "thorax" under my parachute post on my Caddis Emerger that I tie. It traps lots of little air bubbles and catches fish!

#4 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:56 AM

I think they're great for emerger wings. I also will use them for under-wings on EHC.

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#5 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:47 AM

Graham, I really do hope you're joking. Using feathers greased with the secretions from the anus glands of a duck kinda grosses me out. ohmy.gif tongue.gif

#6 wilcara

wilcara

"Wolfish"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

Thanks guys. (Good one Graham!) I figured they would be exxcellent to suspend a midge or emerger under. Just never seen them before, and thought you fellars might have had something really special in mind.

Sawcat - you have a pic of one of those mate?
Cheers - Chris

IPB Image

IPB ImageDon't blame me - I was raised by wolves in the Tasmanian highlands.

#7 nightfish

nightfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:48 AM

Use them for the wing on RS2's!