Fly Tying
artimus001

from the early days

here are pictures of the collection of flies that i have from some of the earlier swaps on this site (circa. 04-06). i might have had to get rid of all my stuff, but there is no way that i would part or fish with these babies.

post-52814-0-75581700-1398008397_thumb.jpg

post-52814-0-99328600-1398008417_thumb.jpg

post-52814-0-98493400-1398008425_thumb.jpg

It's kind of cool that as you peruse the selections you have you can begin to detect patterns that tell you what kind of swap you were in. Wish now I'd kept my swap flies separate from all the rest but they're mixed in with my ties for the most part. The last three swaps were so good for trout oriented flies that I have put them in a separate box along with my contributions. I should be able to use that box on almost any river or lake I fish this summer.

And artimus, I hate reading you had to get rid of all your stuff. That is sad. Right now with where I'm at in health I collect and tie a lot more than I use but hope to begin to correct that some in the near future.

great flies for sure. i've seen a tyer's skill set take right off after a few swaps. the combination of producing the best fly that could be tied at that time, plus repeating a pattern at least a dozen times, does an amazing job for improving skills. i would enter a swap just to challenge myself with new techniques, styles or patterns.

there are a lot of great memories in those boxes; furry and fluffy reminders of sunnier days. this boxes are a major driving factor that has got me all excited about tying and fishing again. the excitement of participating or hosting a swap peaks while getting the mail during a swap. it's just like getting xmas cards full of money when i was a kid.

vicrider: still hurts to have had to let go all my stuff..... but that was then and this is now.

i can totally identify with health interfering with enjoying life. four letters..... p t s d. i hope as well to spend more time fishing and tying this year then just wising that i could.

I keep going back to the second picture, second row on left, crayfish on far right. I keep thinking that thing has to make the other flies uncomfortable. That is one of the nicest ties I have ever looked at. The whole pattern is great but those legs really do it for me.

Yep, those nasty four letters. ptsd for you and my wife (meds keep her going) and copd for me (meds help but not near enough when over a 1/3 of your lung capacity is gone).

i've taken a look at that particular fly, and i believe that it is a shrimp from a dumbbell eye swap. the two that are beside that one, are from a tyer that caused quite the commotion with his cray pattern. both are amazing flies in their own rights.

i wish you and your wife good health. even if it just for a moment. whether it be it a fleeting moment when she is able to enjoy a moment of calm and the peace that it brings; or you for the moment when you feel you can take a deeper breath and smell the awaking world around you.

may you both feel at peace today, Art.