Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Titleist4156

Best hook styles and brands

New to fly tying, buying bulk as I usually dive into things full bore when I do them. What would you say are the best brand to buy, not afraid to spend a little more for quality. And also what style of hooks to buy? Sizes? I only fish sea run cutthroat, rainbows, browns, and steelhead off a fly. Western/Central Oregon.

Let the fly you want to tie dictate the style and size of the hook. As for brand, for the price I'm a big fan of Allen Fly Fishing hooks. Have only used them for trout and bass so don't know if they'd meet your needs.

I tie mostly on Mustad, Daiichi, Dai-Riki and Umpqua hooks. A couple of bad experiences with cheap, off-brand hooks convinced me to pay a little more. YMMV.

New to fly tying, buying bulk as I usually dive into things full bore when I do them. What would you say are the best brand to buy, not afraid to spend a little more for quality. And also what style of hooks to buy? Sizes? I only fish sea run cutthroat, rainbows, browns, and steelhead off a fly. Western/Central Oregon.

I'd think you'd want steelhead ON a fly, not off a fly, but it is bound to happen.

Tiemco and Daiichi make high quality hooks. They do cost more than the discount brands.

I like the Veniard Osprey hooks and Kamasan aswell as Sakuma and Tsunami circle hooks for sea and pike.

I use a lot of mustad hooks seem like good quality with a reasonable price. I also have tried the allen hooks and the J stockard brand can't really complain about either. I also use tiemco

Tiemco and Gamagatsu are prob best but I mostly buy the thousand packs of dia-riki hooks in my most used styles. I havnt had any problems with them and I fish a lot of steelhead. Or for spey flies alec jacksons (daichi) light wire hooks are just plain sexy.

and yes I just referred to a hook as sexy

=

Mustad and Dai Riki. Great for the cost.

Outstanding question!!!!

As a fisherman from 35 years ago there are GOOD hooks and Chitty hooks!

I discovered this in my bass fishing tournament days..

As a NEW GUY I have to say........

1. FInds a mentor in your area......

2. Look at what they fish for

3. ASK FOR help!!!!!

If you are looking for Bulk hooks GO FOR IT!

You might find that fisheman in the "riffle" can save you a few bucks!

It all depends on what you are fishing for....

Mike

My advice is going to be a bit contrary.... Don't buy hooks in bulk until you know what you're going to need. I went almost twenty years before I began buying my hooks by the thousand per size. I used to tell my students when I was teaching fly tying (saltwater only) that they should cnsider each hook as a nail -then use the right nail for the job at hand... Some fish will require very strong, extra sharp hooks others may do far better on something relatively light. I use a ton of Mustad 34007 stainless hooks for bonefish bugs but would never think of using them for tarpon as a "for instance".

Whenever I get an order for something I've never done before I always ask for a sample so that I can get the correct hook style and size. The next thing I'm very concerned with is proportions (size, length, density of materials for that particular pattern...). Keep an open mind, get samples of bugs you like, learn about all the different hook styles available then tie up a few and see how they actually work on the water. You'll pretty quickly develop your own opinions as to what works and what doesn't.....

Be careful tying - it's addictive....