Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Guaging interest for another saltwater swap

Flats Crabs crustaceans

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Teehee...

Thought I'd put a post in here and see what the response is.

I'm looking at hosting another swap...  This time focused on entirely saltwater crustacean patterns.  I would make it open to all levels of tyer, and make it international of course, given I hail from the land down under..

These patterns can be somewhat time consuming depending on what you tie, so I'm not sure about numbers as yet...  Given they are often quite heavy, postage may also be on the higher side.

Does it sound like a plan?

Let me know ;)

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#2 atxdiscgolfer

atxdiscgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

If this happens, put me down for a maybe

#3 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:30 AM

I'm always interested in a salty swap

#4 Peterjay

Peterjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Not sure about the timing - most of us on this side of the equator are switching from tying mode to fishing. I'll probably be in if the numbers aren't too high. Gotta do a few crabs anyway - 20-40 pound reds are in the neighborhood as we speak.

#5 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I am expecting to see a 40#er with one of your flies hanging out of it's mouth and a detailed description of the days activity. Not that you would cheat but .....no cheating now 

#6 Peterjay

Peterjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

I am expecting to see a 40#er with one of your flies hanging out of it's mouth and a detailed description of the days activity. Not that you would cheat but .....no cheating now

I'm hoping to see a 40-pounder as well; unfortunately it's hard for me to get away with Mrs. PJ being out in Indiana. Getting the 12wt spruced up & ready to go as soon as she gets back. The big gals should be around through June. No pups on the flats yet, though the black skimmers showed up this week, so summer can't be far away.

#7 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

Sigh...  we don't have any dedicated fishing seasons.  I'm happy to wait.  I know that a reasonable crab takes a bit of time and effort, and there's no way I want to cut into anyone's fishing time...

As it happens I got hold of some materials last week from a place called the Fly tyers dungeon...  Kracken dubbing is the new black!  Just sayin'

Love it...  Anyhoo, I took a heathen mate out to Hinchinbrook for the first time since the wet season yesterday, and while the fishing was tough on a cold (75 farenheit) and wet day..  We still managed to see a few fish, and my new custom 4wt got onto species number two...  a northern pikey bream (close relative of your sheepshead I reckon).

WARNING - Non-flyfishing pics below.

Attached Files

Dave Little
www.nqflyfishers.com

#8 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:13 PM

Great shots Dave.  Is that first one a Jewfish (Goliath Grouper)?  The pokey bream looks a lot like a porgy, which is a delicious tasting reef fish over here.

#9 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Thanks mate.

The first one is a black spotted estuary / rock cod mate (http://www.fishesofa...me/species/4675).  Just googled it,...  Does look similar to a goliath though.

Dave Little
www.nqflyfishers.com

#10 Peterjay

Peterjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:24 AM

As it happens I got hold of some materials last week from a place called the Fly tyers dungeon...  Kracken dubbing is the new black!  Just sayin'

Dave - if you haven't tried the H2O and H2O twist from the Fly Tyers' Dungeon, it's great flash material. The Twist is a bit stiffer and longer than Crystal Flash, etc., and the metallic colors of H2O are also on the stiff and heavy side, which makes them great for big saltwater flies. Good stuff and you can't beat the price.

#11 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

I was just looking at the FTD site last night. I do use the congo hair and some other stuff. Can't remember the other stuff names. CRS I suppose. I sure don't need more stuff. ....Well maybe I do

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flats, Crabs, crustaceans