Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Micro fishing.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

I was wondering if anyone on this site Micro-fishes? I got started last year and I love it! So many new species I've caught! It originated from the Japanese tanago fishing. Finding info on it is kinda difficult, but two websites have pretty good stuff.

http://microfishing.com/about/

http://www.tenkarabu...ro-fishing.html

So far I've only caught three species of micros, but with all the new little fish I saw at the brook I found today, hopefully that number will rise a little.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

I hope you are taking photos of these tiny fish.  They'll make good pattern references for baitfish flies.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

:D
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#4 André Ribeiro

André Ribeiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Yes, in fact, most of the time! biggrin.png

20130504_07.jpg

Lambari%25201.JPG

There are other micro species in the rivers I usually go fishing, but hook them using a fly, is a challenge.

20130413_11.jpg

Keep on trying. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Big Hug wink.png

Photography is the best way to bring fishing good times back home. 

Practice Catch & Release!!!

http://www.fuzzyflies.com

#5 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Andre' ... what kinds of beast are those?  They don't look like shad or shiners ... minnows?  some type of immature fry?

Barbed hooks rule!

#6 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

I'm gonna take a shot at the ID. That's the hardest part is identifying the fish. Is the top one a bitterling, the middle is a trout fry, And the bottom a Johnny darter?

#7 saltydancindave

saltydancindave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

All this time I thought physical therapy for hyperextended ligaments & chipped bone in the elbow with the #2 weight while catching a few palm sized fish on a #16 variation of a Letort cricket was ultralight fly fishing it turns out to be micro fishing ! Must have beat the waters to a froth with that DT-2-F with a 7X leader, scaring off the crappie & largemouths leaving the micro fish.......

#8 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Wow, Dave ... I don't think I could've typed out that mouth full ... I know I could read it out loud in one breath!!!

But you were Ultra-light fishing.

Micro-light requires a rod made from the stripped quill of a Peacock feather, a fly line made of dental floss and a leader made of spider web fresh from the previous night's "spinning".

Barbed hooks rule!

#9 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

many years back, my wife and I used to go fishing for snook at night with live bait,... preferably small pinfish.  During the preceding day we would go cane pole fishing for bait, using tiny hooks.  Can't recall the hook size but the gap couldn't have been bigger than 1/8 inch.  For bait we chopped up frozen shrimp.  We caught lots of other interesting fish, including blennies, gobies, clingfish, juvenile snappers, even a tiny red grouper.  Some of these we kept in a saltwater aquarium.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#10 saltydancindave

saltydancindave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

Wow, Dave ... I don't think I could've typed out that mouth full ... I know I could read it out loud in one breath!!!

But you were Ultra-light fishing.
Micro-light requires a rod made from the stripped quill of a Peacock feather, a fly line made of dental floss and a leader made of spider web fresh from the previous night's "spinning".

They're just about a mouthful of sushi size & while I'm guessing all those palm sized trout caught on a Front Range Tour in Colorado years ago was also ultralight fly fishing instead of micro fishing; even though most of the baitfish while snookin' on the beach were larger than the trout. Next beach walkabout will have to see if there's some dental floss to attach to the quill of a feather & some silk thread........

#11 André Ribeiro

André Ribeiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

Andre' ... what kinds of beast are those?  They don't look like shad or shiners ... minnows?  some type of immature fry?

I'm gonna take a shot at the ID. That's the hardest part is identifying the fish. Is the top one a bitterling, the middle is a trout fry, And the bottom a Johnny darter?

Guys, in order they're: Astyanax brevirhinus (lambari do rabo amarelo - yellow fin lambari), Bryconops melanurus (lambari de sangue - blood lambari) and Characidium sp. (mocinha - little lady). 

They're not immature frys they're adults and probably able to reproduce.smile.png

#12 netabrookie

netabrookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

I didn't know that it was called micro fishing. I have considered it a "save the day option" because the trout either won't cooperate or they are somewhere else in the creek and at least I can catch something so that I don't have to say that I got skunked.  I usually don't use an indicator if I am using nymphs in a smaller creek and just pay close attention to the end of my line for anything out of the ordinary. I think it is a challenge to detect a strike from a tiny little fish on a tiny little fly.  It's fun to tie on a tiny dry also and watch the little fellows hit it very aggressively.  Now I can't wait to go fishing with my son again. If I happen to get into some larger trout than him now I can tell him that he is just micro fishing..... 

.....You can never have too many olive woolly buggers.........

.... IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED..........RELOAD......

#13 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

Micro fishing needs micro equipment

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

Why do you look at a persons profile after they make a post?

#14 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

No flytire that's for making you catch look bigger!

#15 André Ribeiro

André Ribeiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

This could be great, but I think the rod is too short. Sometimes you need a little longer casts and perform these casts with this rod certainly should be a challenge. wacko.png

I use a #1 outfit: TFO Finesse #1 rod (6'9" long), TFO BVK #0 reel and Rio Trout LT #1 line. It´s still heavy for these micro fishes (in fact I think even that micro equipment is), but it works very well, it´s fine light and good for casts.

UL%25201.JPG

UL%25202.JPG

Big Hug wink.png

Reply to this topic