Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pike.ro

Having fun with some pikes

This is a small reservoir I'm fishing for smaller pikes, it's fun because there are lots of them. Not 100% fly fishing, because in some places I don't have space for backcasting even from the belly boat and that day I broke my Winston 9wt rod (it's repaired now biggrin.png) so I continued with the spinning rod

Enjoyed that a lot. One thing I'd say is at the start when lots of fish dropped off, I would keep my fy rod a little lower and be stripping hard with left hand to set the hook and get some stretch in the fly line before slowly raising the rod. I've found the fly rod too soft to set the hook well in pike and find if I leave it low,pointing at the fish the left hand can set the hook much better stripping line hard.

Enjoyed the soundtrack too.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind and hopefully the adrenaline won't stop my brain to think of that hard stripping :D

Yeah resisting the strike is the hardest part. Tuck the rod under your Right arm so you are only really holding the retrieve line and it makes it easier until it becomes second nature. This type of strike works just as well on trout too but they can sometimes snap you on a tight line if you aren't ready to let them have a little on the first run. I dont allow pike any line initially, get a good pull on that tight line before lifting the rod and allowing the rod to bend and let the fish have a little line.

Agreeing with Piker on all fronts.

Nice video. I LOVE watching the hook sets. And on of the few things I miss about the North are the Pike. Pickerel here are fun, but it's hard to target them, they are just too few and far between.

Learning to strip-set the hook. It's well worth the time to learn to use your left hand to set the hook, only raising the rod enough to give a little bend to the rod after you've driven the hook point in. Then you can bring the rod tip up and fight the fish normally.

Looking forward to seeing some more videos.

Pike.ro, none, neither lake nor river. It's brackish sea water.
The pikes spend summer in the sea, and goes in this cove twice a year, when autumn/winter comes and the sea weed falls and exposes the minnows, and in spring for spawning.

That's why the pikes are a bit more alive here than in the standard lake...

Best

Henrik

Do the pike spend whole time in the brackish water or do they move down to take advantage of specific forage and then move up stream again?

They spend the time out around the islands in south east Denmark, it is considered sea area, and then they move into the cove the two times a year.
Pretty much as the coastal pikes in Sweden move in and out of coastal area.

If you can keep it a secret, this is the place:
https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Stege+Nor/@54.9763608,12.310592,5231m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x465329e9ae254289:0xfd4c749daf19c26b?hl=en

And yes, it is connected to the sea through the harbor.

/Henrik

I won't tell a soul. Need to seriously win the big one and then jet around the globe wetting line.

If you do, please tell me how, I will love to have globetrotting fly fisher on my business card without the obligation of the professionals. (Social media, guiding, attending fairs etc.)

Henrik