Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
despatiesim

What hackle for tying Bombers?

Hi all, I'm just getting back into salmon fishing after a very long absence. I used to tie all my wets, but never my bombers. I feel like giving this a shot. So I was wondering what type of hackle you all use for this? I plan on tying them Wulf style, with a split front wing. Best online places to get some?

Thanks!

Simon

For all my salmon flies, including the few Bombers I tie, I use Chinese cock necks. They are, relatively, cheap and have plenty of hackles in the sizes you are likely to use. Also they come in a huge range of dyed colours. You could use strung hackle, but I would want to see them before buying. Also I don't tie enough of those flies to use that quantity of feathers in a single colour.

Also there is a little tool I make that helps with holding everything out of the way while you spin and trim the body. The details are here, you might find it helpful.

Cheers,

C.

I can confirm Crackaigs band tool works well for many areas you want to hold back part of the fly. Using different dia bands helps for smaller or bigger hooks.

As far as the hackle goes also agree buy the cheaper Chinese ones and they tend to carry the larger feathers your after.

I agree that cheaper rooster saddle or neck hackle will work fine. I don't do any Salmon fishing, but do tie both Bombers & Glitter Bugs for stream bass. smile.png

These were tied with saddle hackle.

100_4276-Copy.jpg

100_4274-Copy-Copy.jpg

100_4255.jpg

Thanks all for your input! So it you feel the chinese capes are of sufficient quality for these dry's, I will give it a shot as they are 1/3 the price of the Metz hackles I was considering.

Any suggestions on where to pick them up?

Thanks!

Simon

Sorry to hijack this thread but I was wondering if a bomber in a Cheetos color would be good on carp. Anybody try that?