Don't fence me in

Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please
Don't fence me in

Cole Porter

15815798035_d078e9f2d3_h.jpg

Terje

Terje, I really like the photograph and the poem. I noticed the fence in your night photograph and now the photo of this one and I don't think that I have ever seen one like it. The poem reminds me of a girl I dated almost 30 years ago. She said that she absolutely hated fences. At first I thought she was a little strange but then it occurred to me that she really had things figured out. I often imagine a countryside without fences and barriers. If I had a time machine I guess that I would be able to see what the world looked like hundreds of years ago when it was actually free and wild.

Take Care Terje,

Tony

Hey Tony, human nature means a wall or fence was probably the earliest type of engineering we've had. Those sheep are mine, this land is mine, protect them from the wolves, lions, neighbours.........

I would love a time machine too but I would love to see the topography when it was the romans because most of the ruins we find are a good 10-20ft under current ground level. I've read about how dust and rubbish settles on ruins and over years raises ground level but across a whole country

And why is it stones will keep coming to the top in my vegetable plot but in farmers fields relics seem to be buried?

Terje, I really like the photograph and the poem. I noticed the fence in your night photograph and now the photo of this one and I don't think that I have ever seen one like it. The poem reminds me of a girl I dated almost 30 years ago. She said that she absolutely hated fences. At first I thought she was a little strange but then it occurred to me that she really had things figured out. I often imagine a countryside without fences and barriers. If I had a time machine I guess that I would be able to see what the world looked like hundreds of years ago when it was actually free and wild.

Take Care Terje,

Tony

Thanks a lot, Tony :-)

These fences are very Norwegian and there are lots of them in the mountains and around the fjords :-) The good thing is that they are more or less symbols and fits in to the landscape.

I love the Cole Porter song i thought it was suitable when looking at the photo :-)

Take care my friend :-)

Terje

I really hope Mikechell sees this one! He insists he doesn't like black and white photography, so here's one with some blue sky showing. What a great shot!

Terje ... As usual, your photographic sense of proportion, angle, contrast and composition are impeccable.

In answer to FlaFly's taunt ... tongue.png ... I have a couple of things to say:

(1) While I can appreciate a photo's artistic value, lack of color does "ruin" it for me. Subject matter can also ruin it for me.

(2) This photo makes it clear to me why I don't like B&W photos, or this picture. (I'm psycho-analyzing myself here)

Snow, the lack of color in a snow scene ... B&W photos just look like snow scenes to me !!!

It just dawned on me !!! B&W looks like winter !!! I hate winter, so, I can't appreciate B&W photos !!!

Thanks, FlaFly, for making me realize why I don't care for B&W photography.

Here's some to satisfy your desire for color. We had four inches of snow our last week in NC

post-52210-0-30291800-1416364570_thumb.jpg

post-52210-0-08694700-1416364718_thumb.jpg

Just to make it clear. This is not a b/w photo. It´s a colour photo :-) :-)

Terje

Oh, sorry, Terje. In my first reply was, "Terje ... As usual, your photographic sense of proportion, angle, contrast and composition are impeccable."

That wasn't the issue. Sorry to hijack the thread on a discussion with FlaFly. No, your picture is not B&W ... but it is snow/winter.

Just to make it clear. This is not a b/w photo. It´s a colour photo :-) :-)

Terje

Oh, sorry, Terje. In my first reply was, "Terje ... As usual, your photographic sense of proportion, angle, contrast and composition are impeccable."

That wasn't the issue. Sorry to hijack the thread on a discussion with FlaFly. No, your picture is not B&W ... but it is snow/winter.

i really appreciated your comment, Mike. Sorry that i forgot to say it :-)

I´m a summer man myself but i live in a winter land and as a amateur photographer i find the winter very interesting for photo :-) ..... but i would give away the winter any day to have summer all year long :-) :-)

Terje

The stark and haunting beauty of your photo is incredible. Once again I love the fence. I, like others, am not a big fan of winter. Getting dark at 5 is no fun. We have a lot of grey rainy days here. I don't know that it wouldn't be better to have sunshine, snow on the ground, and cold. We have few of those days but when we do my children sure do like to play (me too!). I digress. Back to the fence, why are they built in the fashion as shown in your photo? I'm sure there is/was a sound reason for it.

As always, thanks for the time and effort spent in posting your photos.

Dark at 5? How far south are you. Its currently 15:02 and car lights on here. No snow though, Terje, Harvard and Henrik can keep that.