Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cjsnyder1234

UNI Yarn?

This seams like a nice material never used this stuff before. any tips on what it is best used for? dry flies or nymphs? thanks for any Information!

I picked up some Uni-Mohair a few weeks ago. Interesting stuff. It's basically a singly ply, or thread, of yarn. It is too coarse for dry flies, although I suppose you could use it if you really wanted to. What is is best used for is wet flies, streamers and nymphs.

You use it instead of a dubbing noodle. Just tie it in, as you would chenille, advance your tying thread, and warp the body using only the yarn.

Back in the dark ages, when I first learned to tie, we used a lot of yarn for bodies. I'm kinda glad to see it making a comeback.

(I just reread the product description. Uni-Yarn is 2-ply, so you could separate it into a single ply to use on smaller flies.)

thanks for the info, i have some mohair great for leaches. the 2ply stuff looks great and is cheap. was thinking caddis or stone nymphs. hand is in a splint and seeing as i cant tie i would shop for some winter time materials. sorry for bad typing lol one handed and just off surgery...

I use it for bodies on classic Steelhead patterns. I for some reason can not dub worth a darn so it replaces dubbing on some flies as well.