Fly Tying
thirdbase

Tungsten Bead Fit

I have just received some 3/32 tungsten beads from Cabela's marked Metz and Umpqua. They will not fit my size 16 light nymph hooks with standard wire; they will not turn the corner at the bend of the hook. They will work on shrimp and cadis pupa curved hooks. Is this a common problem that some beads will not fit hooks they are sized for? I live 100 miles from the nearest fly tying materials place (Bass Pro) so I have to order everything. It's a bummer when something doesn't work. I have another brand marked River Wild Flies (3/32) and they work on my hooks.

I've had this happen with hooks that had a sharper bend in them. With the bead fitting over the wire but not making it past the bend.

I pinched the barb down after they did not fit the first time and yes, I was inserting thru the small hole first. Hooks are Saber and Mustad. Thanks for the link to the guide; I have bookmarked it.

As Trez mentioned above, I too have had this issue with hooks that had a sharper bend in them. If it was a case of the bead almost making it around the bend but getting stuck near the bend-to-shank transition, in many cases I have been able to bend hook open slightly using pliers or the vise jaws. Once the bead was around the bend, I just bent the hook back into shape. It shouldn't damage the integrity of the hook to bend it just a little bit like that, especially if you only do it once per hook.

I'm not sure if this will work for you or not, but it's worth a try.

... in many cases I have been able to bend hook open slightly using pliers or the vise jaws. Once the bead was around the bend, I just bent the hook back into shape.

I second this ... depending on the hook, of course. I've tried to do this, and some hooks snap before they bend. But I also fish with hooks that I can straighten and get off a snag, bend it back and continue fishing with it. I've done this 3 or 4 times before I don't trust the hook anymore.

I have mostly had this issue with the TMC 200 hooks and the similar shape from other manufacturers. And as noted above, you can slightly open the hook and close it again. Regular bend nymph and wet fly hooks are usually more forgiving. There is also no standard for beads so it is not unusual for beads from different makers to fit differently on the same hook. I like the Flymen beads but they are pricey so I am always on the lookout for sales and alternate suppliers.

Steve

The barb is seldom the problem when fitting a bead. It may look as though it is but it is the bend that is the problem. This diagram (I have posted this before) shows why beads don't fit.

post-43582-0-03476600-1421304530_thumb.jpg

One way around the problem may be to ask the supplier. I don't know about buyer protection where you are, but here if you contacted a mail order supplier and asked him for beads that fit such and such hook you would be entitled to a full refund if they didn't. Not a great deal of help but...

If you are going to open the bend a little to let the hook pass, be sure to open it without twisting the hook. One way is to use the bead to open the hook. Sometimes just some extra force will be enough to get the bead on. The advantage of this is that the hook is only bent the absolute minimum amount required. I do it by resting the bead on the sides of an open pair of pliers, and pushing the hook through so that the point goes between the jaws.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for all the information. I was able to bend a couple of hooks and get the bead on. I learned that it is somewhat common for some brands of beads not fitting all hooks. I will use up the rest of the beads in this package and then try another brand if I want to continue to use these hooks.

Frankly, the quality of some (many, maybe most?) of the beads coming out of China leaves a lot to be desired. The counter bore is often inadequate, and inconsistent. Compounding the problem, though, is that most of the hooks coming out of China are nearly as bad.

So,

1) try pinching the barb.

2) try a different bead, from the same pack.

3) try a different hook, from the same pack.

Given that he already has the hooks and beads, if it's not possible to bend the hooks, is it possible to ream out the hole on one side of the bead to make it fit?