Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SILKHDH

Float and Fly technique

There is a technique called Float and Fly used by fishermen in cold weather to catch black bass that requires a 16 oz. (from what I read)) fly with a bobber. Usually tied on a jig head hook. Sorry but it is used with spinning gear and not fly rod. I'm sure you could adapt to use a fly rod though. It's been around for a while but I guess it is a pretty hot thing right now. Just thought I would throw it out there for you guys that tie for income. Might be another option for you guys to make a buck. Check it out.

I got these pics off the web. This is what the flys looks like. Simple to tie for about any level of tyer. Take it or leave it.

post-19822-0-02792000-1421943095_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-81879300-1421943108_thumb.jpg

Small white jig tied with duck feathers. Use a 9 ft spinning rod with light line. Developed on Norris lake Tn. It is most effective on smb rather than lmb. Also used here on Lake Cumberland. Use a small weighted bobber with it. The wave action from the lake gives it action. The flies/jigs are inexpensive. A lot of folks tip them with crappie minnows. This technique is used when the water temps are very cold. It is very effective and boring.

Kudu, I hate boring methods of fishing and tend to be a type A when fishing. In some cases tho the boring ends when you set the hook, and if you're doing that often you can forget about the boring time in between. That is essentially the method I've used to fish cold water spring crappies also. A float to keep them hanging in basically one spot seems much more attractive to them than one reeled in. When water warms a little I go to slow retrieve and get rid of the bobber (errr, float).

That was my thought too. Sounds like crappie or walleye fishing when tipped with a minnow or leach. A pretty universal fishing method for a lot of species.

Just to touch bases here, the object of this post was to present another option for commercial tiers on this site to make a buck and add another product to there fly selection. Not the technique in which it is used. There IS a market for these flies. They are so easy to tie, the time-to-dollar ratio could be pretty good. Curious,,,, does anyone know how much people are charging for these things? I'm going to google it right now. I checked and I see these sell from $1.99 to $4.25 for the more fancy ones. Cha ching!!

There is a technique called Float and Fly used by fishermen in cold weather to catch black bass that requires a 16 oz. (from what I read)) fly

I assume 16 oz. is a misprint? I have a 16 oz. sinker here that is a ball of lead about 1.5 inches in diameter.

16 ounces is 1 pound.

I like the technique ... with a slip bobber that pulls the jig up, then lets it settle back down to the stop. Quick jerks up, hold the line tight while the jig does a slow sink down (slowly moving towards you, as the line feeds through the bobber). And done properly, a little top water noise with the bobber to alert predators something ... "ain't right"!!!

Kudu ... everybody claims the presentation was invented in their State.

VCrider ... this is NOT a boring "sit-and-wait" technique, like bait fishing. It's very interactive and downright deadly in the right situation.

Tying small jigs to present this technique has been around for a long time, and can, indeed be a lot of fun, maybe even lucrative.

I think I remember jigs like these were sold by Cabela's for fishing for walleye. Haven't seen them offered for sime time. They were in the 1/8 to 1/2 oz size, if I remember correctly.

Those must be 3/16 oz. The jig and bobber rig has been wildly popular down here on the flats for years, a really effective way to keep the jig just above the grass tops. They are especially effective with cajun thunder style floats that emulate a baitfish getting busted on the surface. The slip bobber could work but would minimize the noise factor, if that is what you want. From what Kudu says, though, it sounds like you just still fish them rather than retrieve them

I fish black SEA bass here in WA. The flies you pictured would also work for the saltwater types we fish for. However, we use much simpler flies which are basically a saltwater hook wrapped in chenille and topped with lawnchair webbing.

Danielson-70B12-2.jpg?1398959561

I have friends that got into centerpin fishing for steelhead about 10 or so years ago.

They would fish flies (jigs actually) under a large bobber. They told me instead of a few fish a day, they caught a boatload. Only one of them still fishing this way, but he now uses a spinning reel instead of a centerpin reel.

oldtrout58, since this thread has morphed into a life of it's own, many of us on the north shore of Lake Superior fished the river runs of steelhead, salmon, and lake trout (even carp some years). We used 8-9' flyrods with Shakespeare 1810 closed faced reels that hung under the rod. I can remember on a pool one spring where you'd drift a yarn fly under a small float thru the pool under it bumped against the ice pack. Down would go the bobber and in would come another steelhead.

LOL..16 oz.... That's a friken down rigger ball.... So I left out the (th). Sue me..

16th oz. or 1/16 oz. is what I meant... LOL....... That's funny. I'm sure that's not the only weight used in this technique, its just the size I see mentioned the most often.