Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
m_grieb

Collins Hackle

Hi all,

just a quick question. how do Collins saddles compare to saddles from metz/whiting? im a commercial tyer and was wondering if I could get the same amount of flies of the same size out of a Collins saddle and cape combined than just a metz or whiting saddle.

any other comments about their saddles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Collins saddles do not compare to whiting or Metz. His capes on the other hand do compare. Whiting is definitely the best you can get in both capes and saddles but if you factor in the price difference and the fact that you get both cape and saddle from Charlie Collins it's definitely worth it in my opinion. With that being said his saddles are useful for 12's and larger, maybe a 14 if you're lucky but do not come close to whiting saddles. I met Charlie at the fly tying expo in New Jersey, he's a great guy and I got some great hackle from him. The best thing you can do is give him a call and explain what you are looking for.

I am a fan of Charlies product. I don't believe that he breeds for the length of saddle feather that Whiting does. There is a limit to what he can breed for since he is a much smaller operation than Whiting.

Steve

In the study that we did we were very impressed with the Collins product. If I were going to buy a cape that wasn't a whiting, it would most likely be a Collins. The saddle can't be compared to any of the Whiting saddles, but it's a nice bonus for tying streamers etc.

Cheech, that review of capes you and curtis did was awesome. I have seen the collins capes in person and ray cote sells them thru his shop as well. Good solid product for the money. Very eye opening across the varieties for what to expect. Will definitely help me with future purchases. For what i tie capes will last me a lifetime. Saddles and saltwater hackle, thats another story. Great article!

Cheech, that review of capes you and curtis did was awesome. I have seen the collins capes in person and ray cote sells them thru his shop as well. Good solid product for the money. Very eye opening across the varieties for what to expect. Will definitely help me with future purchases. For what i tie capes will last me a lifetime. Saddles and saltwater hackle, thats another story. Great article!

Thanks!

Wow what a review! I'm so glad i found this! I am getting ready to order some more saddles and capes and was getting ready to try out some of the metioned suppliers but thanks to this I know whose product i will use. thanks again.

Wow what a review! I'm so glad i found this! I am getting ready to order some more saddles and capes and was getting ready to try out some of the metioned suppliers but thanks to this I know whose product i will use. thanks again.

Excellent... That's good to hear.