Fly Tying
Clint KY

A different source for tying materials

Make friends with a taxidermist. One of my crappie-fishing friends is a taxidermist who has a shop in town where I stop from time to time to talk fishing. I told him I was looking for different types of materials with which I could tie flies; he has put aside scraps and parts for me to pick through when I stop in to visit.

He gave some wildebeest hide with long black hair that is fairly stiff but still supple enough to use on streamers.

And some antelope hide with some very soft tan hair that is hollow at the thicker base but solid at the ends that works well as collars on the micro-jigs I tie for Shell Crackers (Red Ears).

He has offered, and I have taken a host of other furs, hairs and a few feathers that are not on your standard list of fly-tying materials. I substitute these for materials I do not have and use them to tie jigs of my own creation for the bluegills, crappie and occasional bass.

very good reminder

the taxidermy shop has always been a good place for tying materials.

unfortunately a lot of just don't go in and ask for scraps or even have one near by

Based on your name, Clint KY, I'm guessing you're from Kentucky. I am originally from Indiana. I know, in both those States, just about everybody has a brother, cousin or friend who is a taxidermist. I was under the impression that Kentuckians actually have spouses and pets stuffed. (joking)

For those living in other parts of the Country, it's a bit harder to find a taxidermist. But I did ask a hunter friend of mine a year ago or so ... "What do you do with the deer hides from your two to five kills each year?"

His response ... "I usually throw it all away. Too much trouble to deal with."

So, if you've got friends who hunt ... don't be afraid to talk to them about saving stuff for you.

Mike - you are correct - the far west end of the commonwealth. Also correct on the abundance of taxidermists around here. You are partially correct in that I know a few who have mounted pets, more specifically hunting dogs.

But you will be surprised how many taxidermists there are, even in city environments. Check the phone book or local services lists. Many are operated out of homes or workshops in a residential neighborhoods.

As far as hunters, they can be a source but you are left to tan or preserve the hides on you own. Larger scale taxidermists tan in a vessels under pressure and do the whole hide at once. That leaves the scraps and extras tanned and ready to store.

My friend is a very well respected artist and has customers bring or have sent, exotic animals like the wildebeest and pronghorn antelope from which I got scraps. Deer hair is always useful especially if you tie the bigger bass bugs.

I got some African feathers from the professor of ornithology at the local university. It helped that we were on the same team in the local volleyball league.

One important point to remember - there are birds from which we can not even possess feathers. Any protected species have this restriction.

How you acquired the feathers is of no consequence, you may not have them in your possession.

I have a Heron Rookery on my property and there are always feathers under the nests. But I may not pick one up according to the law.

Eagle feathers are the same way. There are numerous Eagles that nest in the LBL, a Federal Recreation Area not far from me and eagle feathers can be found on the ground. But you can not pick them up. There is some sort of allowance for Native Americans that allows them to keep them for tribal purposes.

Please, everybody ... There's NOTHING to see here ! Disregard Clint's last message !!!

Clint, we've had heated discussions on the legality of feathers. You can check back through some other threads if you're cold one evening. Warm you right up.

native americans may possess eagle feathers from the US Fish and Wildlife Service National Eagle Repository and must get a permit to do so

native americans may possess feathers passed down from family members: before 1940 for bald eagles and 1962 for golden eagles

see the US Fish & Wildlife Service website

www.fws.gov

Please, everybody ... There's NOTHING to see here ! Disregard Clint's last message !!!

Clint, we've had heated discussions on the legality of feathers. You can check back through some other threads if you're cold one evening. Warm you right up.

Mike - I will peruse the posts, but I stand by my statement.

Here is the link to the law: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/16/703

The paragraph below is an interpretation of that law by Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center. The highlighting is mine to show where I get my idea that possessing feathers of protected species is against the US Code.

Anyone desiring to possess migratory birds or their parts or products should be aware that all of these are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16U.S.C. 703-712), which implements a series of international treaties designed to protect migratory birds.

Some key provisions of the Act are worth keeping in mind:

• Wording of the Act makes it very clear that most actions that result in "taking" or possession of a protected species or its parts or products is a violation of the Act. Specifically, the Act states:

"Unless and except as permitted by regulations, …it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means, or in any manner…to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, …possess, offer for sale, sell, …purchase, import…any migratory bird, any part, nest, or eggs of any such bird…"

• It is a "strict-liability" law, meaning that there is no requirement for law enforcement agencies to prove "intent" to violate the law. That is, if you are found in possession of a protected species or its parts or products, you are automatically in violation of the law.
  • The provisions of the Act are nearly absolute; "...except as permitted by regulations ..." is the only exception. Some examples of permitted activities that do not violate the law are legal hunting of specific game birds, legitimate research activities, display in licensed zoological gardens, and bird banding under an appropriate permit.
  • The Act covers the great majority (83%) of all native birds found in the U.S. Many of the species not covered by the Act are covered by the Endangered Species Act , other Federal laws, or state laws, many of which are as stringent as the Migratory Bird Treaty Act . In the lower 48 states, all species except the house sparrow, feral pigeon, common starling, and non-migratory game birds like pheasants, gray partridge, and sage grouse, are protected.
  • Penalties upon conviction can be severe. Even if a sympathetic jury finds that you meant no harm in trying to rear an abandoned nestling or in picking a hawk feather, legal defense costs are clearly not worth the risk.

Keep an eye out for stuffed animals that have been damaged or are otherwise no longer used for display. Often their age can get you around the restrictions.

One of the best people I know for getting materials is a Wildlife Services Officer. His job.is to "clear up" animals involved in road traffic or other accidents and "dispose" of them. His job and qualifications mean he can legitimise my possession of lots of things I couldn't otherwise have. He lives off road kill!

I have no idea if that could work in the US, or if there is an equivalent to him there.

Cheers,

C.

lol oh no. c'mon guys, it really wasn't that heated... they're birds.

not too long ago, i went to tahoe on vacation and moseyed into this taxidermy shop out there. chatted the proprietor up some and he showed me his cutting room. he was more than happy to let me have a few patches of bear hair and sterling skins.

i'd say that if you have a taxidermy shop near you, give it a shot. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

They have already been paid for the job, so an offer of cash for the scraps will often be met with a plea "to take it so tI don't have to deal with it."

Kirk

Just got back home to find this diatribe.

Clint... can you read "AFRICAN".

Thanks Mike.

Just got back home to find this diatribe.

Clint... can you read "AFRICAN".

Thanks Mike.

Mike - I do not understand your comment. Firstly I don't see a diatribe, which is described as "a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something.". I see some comments being exchanged, some with differing opinions. That hardly qualifies as a diatribe.

I did not nor do I think the feathers you got were/are illegal. One of the exemptions to the US Code is for schools and research.

Only thing I'd add here is that taxidermists are not in the habit of working with illegal animals. They would loose their business license as well as the fines, prison, etc... They typically know the laws of their business. The likelihood of accidentally getting illegal animal parts from one is VERY slim.