Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
antonio999us

Homemade Balsa wood lure - The Attila Fat Minnow "S"

Hello Fly Fishing anglers

It has passed long time since my last post. I hope all of you are having excellent fishing days and are doing well...

This time I want to share my last How To Do video where I did the Protoype of my last homemade lures. I know it is not a Fly Tying video, but I though that maybe it was be interesting for some of you that may try a small lure for Salmon, Trout or other fish with a homemade lure. My next balsa lure series will be for my trouts fishing.

Then I want to introduce you to my new Attila Fat Minnow “S” …. “S” because it is sinking action… it is a lure made from Balsa wood and I thought to designed it with the purpose for spinning fishing in salt/freshwater, and casting it from from a boat or from the shore. In my particular case, I want to use this one to catch some Flounders and Corvinas (Weakfish).

This first prototype is a sinking one, but also, I am doing Suspending and Floating versions… it will depend on fishing conditions and kind of fish that I’m looking for.

On the other hand, this video is Part one of two videos. In Part 1 I do a quick summary of main steps that I followed to do the Attil Fat Minnow… Here is the list of materials and tools I used:

Materials:

- 4mm x 20mm x 120mm Balsa wood
- 1mm diameter x 210mm Stainless Steel wire
- 2.5mm x 30mm Diameter Lead wire
- Epoxy Resine
- Super Glue
- Wood Cement
- ¼” Balls bearing (stainless)
- 5mm Strong Magnet
- 60mm Strip Aluminium (made from soda cans)
- 2mm Transparent Polycarbonate for lips

Tools:

- Cutter
- Steel ruler, Vernier Caliper
- Sand paper # 180, 200, 400
- Limes
- Hacksaw, Fine saw
- Drill
- Vise
- Pliers

After this first introduction video, a second one will come as Part 2 where I’m going to show the finishing summary: Aerograph painting, holograms, eyes, gills, etc….

In parallel I am preparing and editing a four chapters series with all the details in each step.

I hope you like this video, thank you for your patience and for watching this humble video. Please give me your comments, and whoever wants please give a LIKE after watching the video.

Have a safe fishing…

Here is the Youtube link to see the prototype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QROzKcFJDu8

I'm not saying anything! Ok, i will! Work friend goes to IKEA to buy the cheap spoons & cuts the handles off & uses the spoon piece to make his own spoon lures for pike!

I enjoyed the video.

I've made spoons from spoons and sea pilks are good from knife handles.

hahahaha... My wife hate me when I go to the kitchen...I used many stainless steel knives, spoons and forks to do my own spoon flies... see my videos in Youtube... The last one, I called it Attila Slim, I bought two boxes of brand knew knives (a dozen each), and the results were awsome...I caught many fishes with it.....

I like copper sheet and a ball pen hammer for spoons. The stainless spoons are hard to drill.

Hello all

Thanks for your comments... I was wondering if anyone in the Forum knows someone who has made this kind of lures before. In case you do, please let me know it. I have lot of interest to improve my work

Have a nice week, Antonio

My father's uncle once had a sauna with a guy who was making those lures, they both lived near the same lake päijänne, that guy named his company Rapala!