Fly Tying
andybates

Dyna KIng Barracuda..excuse my ignorance?

Ive been using a renzetti apprentice for a few years, my father in law just gave me a dyna king barracuda to use, my question is, is this thing supposed to spin on the vertical shaft all the time? I cant figure out how to stop it. I reckon if it is that's something Im a have to get used to on this high dollar vices. thanks

"my question is, is this thing supposed to spin on the vertical shaft all the time? I cant figure out how to stop it."

I'm a barricuda user and am not sure I understand the question completely, but will try to answer as I interpret the question. I believe you're saying the jaws always return to the upright position if you rotate the vise manually. In other words if you rotate your fly upside down and let go of the vise, the mass of the jaws will cause the fly to rotate 180 degrees, so the fly is right side up. If this is what you're asking, look at the horizontal barrel where the bearings are located. There are thumb screws on the front of the barrel and on the rear of the barrel. Tighten the rear thumb screw slightly until it creates some resistance on the horizontal shaft. If set properly your jaws can still be rotated, with some resistance, but when you let go the jaws should stay in the position where you let go. Hope this helps.

"my question is, is this thing supposed to spin on the vertical shaft all the time? I cant figure out how to stop it."

I'm a barricuda user and am not sure I understand the question completely, but will try to answer as I interpret the question. I believe you're saying the jaws always return to the upright position if you rotate the vise manually. In other words if you rotate your fly upside down and let go of the vise, the mass of the jaws will cause the fly to rotate 180 degrees, so the fly is right side up. If this is what you're asking, look at the horizontal barrel where the bearings are located. There are thumb screws on the front of the barrel and on the rear of the barrel. Tighten the rear thumb screw slightly until it creates some resistance on the horizontal shaft. If set properly your jaws can still be rotated, with some resistance, but when you let go the jaws should stay in the position where you let go. Hope this helps.