Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hooks Without Eyes?

hooks

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Freddo

Freddo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi All,

A fellow musician in our church's worship band was a fly tyer years ago. He stopped a while back and after learning that I'm into fly tying, he thought to give me a bunch of hooks he had on hand. As I was going through the envelope containing the small packages of various hook sizes I noticed that these hooks had no eyes for the tippet to go through! What?!? What's the deal? There must be a good reason as I doubt these are all defective hooks and would really like to know.

Thanks in advance!

All the Best -- Freddo

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [1 Corinthians 13:11 (NKJV)]

#2 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:58 PM

The are "blind" hooks. You need to snell a gut "eye" onto them. They can be quite expenive.

http://www.ebay.com/...blind-eye-hooks

http://globalflyfish.../classic/#step2

http://www.salmoncra...-eyeless-hooks/

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#3 Freddo

Freddo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

Thanks SilverCreek! Quite interesting too! The hooks I received are all on the small size, nothing in my opinion that would make a salmon fly; I'd think bigger hooks would be used. Well knowing this, I'll have to see about getting gut somewhere maybe or just store them away.

All the Best -- Freddo

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [1 Corinthians 13:11 (NKJV)]

#4 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

You could use braided line, or even mono to make an eye, doesn't have to be gut..
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#5 Freddo

Freddo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:14 PM

You could use braided line, or even mono to make an eye, doesn't have to be gut..

Thanks - I may try that. Would I match the "gut" type material (mono, braid, etc.) to the tippet size or at least a size or two larger?

Lastly, is the tippet tied to the gut eye the same as I'd tie on a metal hook eye or is there a specific know for that too?

All the Best -- Freddo

#6 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:43 PM

The smaller hooks were more often snelled to horse hair rather than gut. The horse hair was a single strand from the tail of a stallion. (Mare's tail hairs were not used as they can't pee straight! The urine running down the tail weakens the hair.)  Once the fly was tied the horse hair would be incorporated into a "cast" by braiding it together with some lengths of hair without flies and more with flies. A single fly could not be changed on a cast on the water. Rather the whole "cast" was changed as one. That is why when you look at collections of tackle of more than 100 years old the fly box isn't present. You will see "cast wallets" instead.

Here is a link to a plate from Brook and River Trouting and the same for North Country Flies, these show the flies to horse hair.

It was only in the late 19C that eyed hooks became available, and took some time to catch on, and become the norm.

A few years ago someone wrote an article in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying about trying to catch a trout on a horse hair tippet. I don't recall all the details, but his estimate was that a single strand of horse hair had breaking strain of around 2 lbs. Remember though that rods were softer, and generally longer, back then. Also that the braid had much more stretch than modern tackle. All that cushioned the jolts from a fighting fish.

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#7 saltydancindave

saltydancindave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:04 AM

Still have a #32 with no hook eye & always looking to get a few more because if a fly tyed that small isn't enough of a joke to saltwater fisherman, they are always good for a rod inlay since micro-surgery snelling a hook knot tying practice is quite a task for old eyes.....

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:48 AM

Thanks - I may try that. Would I match the "gut" type material (mono, braid, etc.) to the tippet size or at least a size or two larger?

Lastly, is the tippet tied to the gut eye the same as I'd tie on a metal hook eye or is there a specific know for that too?

I found some old eyeless hooks several years ago, in one of my Dad's old tackle boxes.  I didn't snell a loop on, I just tied in a loop of braid for the eye.  I also head cemented the loop to keep it open, to make it easier to thread the leader through.  

Then I just tied on like any other fly.

I'll post a picture or two when I get home.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 Freddo

Freddo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

Thanks guys - this is neat stuff! Maybe I'll try using them, there are a lot of them!

All the Best -- Freddo

#10 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:03 PM

I read somewhere that an eye on a hook was the most difficult part to make. And on a size 32, the hook eye would add a whole lot of relative weight to a dry fly.

I've made blind eye hooks from needles and snelled them with Kevlar thread, which is way stronger than is needed.  Dame Juliana Berners gives instruction for hook making in the booklet "Treatise on Fishing With an Angle."

#11 Henrik Thomsen (DK)

Henrik Thomsen (DK)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

Just for bragging... Me tying a spider om a blind eye.

https://youtu.be/Qsnl7kxFUEM

extern_banner.png

#12 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

This is one of the hooks I found in Dad's tackle box.

With some braid tied in for an "eye".

You could stop at that point ... and have a small fly that mimics fry or nymphs or anything tiny.

Or embellish a bit to add some bulk.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#13 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

That's weird!  I didn't know they still had eyeless hooks.  My only wonder is... WHY?

I recall seeing pictures of old early fish-hooks made of bone by early homo sapiens.  Instead of eyes, they had notches cut into the shank, where they apparently wrapped the fishline around the shank.

Attached Files

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#14 Henrik Thomsen (DK)

Henrik Thomsen (DK)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:07 AM

This is one of the hooks I found in Dad's tackle box.

attachicon.gifDad's hook 2.JPG      attachicon.gifDad's hook 1.JPG

With some braid tied in for an "eye".

attachicon.gifDad's hook 3.JPG   attachicon.gifDad's hook 4.JPG

You could stop at that point ... and have a small fly that mimics fry or nymphs or anything tiny.

Or embellish a bit to add some bulk.

attachicon.gifDad's hook 5.JPG

These are not blind eye hooks per se, but spade hooks.
The "spade" flat area instead of the eye is used to hinder the line to fall of the hook.

Hooks like this is typical used for rigs with many hooks, like Mackerel or herring rigs:
Image00024.jpg

Tied on like:
spadeend.gif

/Henrik

extern_banner.png

#15 Freddo

Freddo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:27 PM

No VICE Henrick?!? There's a challenge for a newb like myself! Nice work though and thanks all for sharing.

All the Best -- Freddo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hooks