Fly Tying
vicrider

Edward Scissorhands

Johnny Depp was always one of my favorite actors and I remember this movie, though not real well. It is 25 years ya' know.

Thing that brought it back was when my cyber friend Rockworm posted a link to a Hopper Pattern. The guy tying the fly was one of those who used the scissors that go on a finger or thumb or somewhere and stay there while tying. Now I'm sure that people who use these get used to them and rave about them to others who would be deathly afraid to even try them. I just know if I tried to use them I'd have a little gnat fly by my face go to smack him and put my eye out.

So have any of you guys adapted the use of the permanent scissors and swear by them? Not only would I risk some sort of damage if I tried them I'm afraid I'd screw up with the superglue like I do often and end up with them permanently affixed to my hand.

I know, from experience with other tools, that I get my hands too close together to permanently affix anything sharp to one hand. I don't think I'd swat at a gnat LOL ... but my "non-scissors" hand would end up with holes poked into it, and my flies and fly tying area would end up with drops of blood everywhere.

Don't think I've ever used the exact scissors you are mentioning but I do hold my scissors in the right hand (looped around the ring finger right hand as I am 'right-handed')while I tie. Have poked myself several times in the past but... usually not all at once as once you do so the first time - you tend to be a bit more careful afterward. Don't think I've poked myself since I did a few times after getting the micro-tip Slick's. Those hurt a bit.. owwie! lol

I have wine bottle corks that are stuffed into a hole on a tool board that I sink the tip of the scissors into when not in use. I'd think one would learn real quick to not go swatting with the hand the scissors are in... but... lol

looks like a pair of plain old dr slick scissors to me. nothing special and a lot of tyers tie with scissors in hand

scissors_zpsydrk3x6l.jpg

I've got some, I think they're called Sixth Fingers, or something like that. They're great, but limited to cutting feathers, thread and small stuff. Not for hair, at least I don't use them for that. I sometimes like to tie with scissors in my hand, these or regular scissors, sometimes not. I'm more of a deliberate tier, and don't get carried away with speed, so a sharp object in my hand isn't all that dangerous.

At one time, when I tied commercially, I got used to tying with the scissors staying in my hand, rather than constantly putting them down & having to pick them up again.

I use regular tying scissors, like the DR Slick as flytire has suggested is being used in that video. There are various scissor designs, so I guess it's what we each like that matters.

IMO it's like anything else we get used to doing as course of habit, and I rarely stuck myself.

Now, I don't always keep them in hand unless tying a lot of flies at once. Which I'll only do occasionally.

I used to do that -- I used scissors that were made to go over the ring finger and nest in the palm--Wiss Quick-Clip Speed Cutter, it was called, if I remember correctly. It worked fine, but I eventually gave it up since I don't do commercial or production tying and there's no need for me to go fast. The gnat thing never occurred to me, lol. :)

Years ago I bought a series of videos (or tapes or whatever they were called back then) of A.K. Best tying flies. He used the Wiss Clips that had a bodkin attached to them. I was holding the scissors while I tied back then (I do not any longer) and thought that would be a great idea - another tool I wouldn't have to always be picking up. Wrong. Scissors AND a sharp bodkin to accidentally bury in essential parts of my body.

Joe

The torture device:

T120303.jpg

I taught myself to keep my scissors in my hand while tying. It took a little while to get used to it but I don't ever recall stabbing myself. It actually feels odd when I don't have them in my hand while tying. It's like anything else in tying, we all have our habits and tendencies.

Steve

flytire, that got me interested in ordering a pair and giving them an honest try. I do wear glasses when tying so that's covered. Thing is, there's no ebay link and went through 10 pages of scissors on the bay and found a couple designed for holding and tying but not his. Maybe I'll email him and see if he's still got a few pair around

I have been tying with standard type scissors for 50 years, and usually always hold them in my left hand while tying. I don't recall ever poking myself. I have tried the Wiss clips, but didn't like them as well as my ICE Tempered Thompson scissors. I still have three pairs of those, and will use them as long as I can.

nick

you know that green caddis outfitters on this website supposedly carries them?

http://greencaddis.com/6th-finger-fly-tying-scissors-138.html

i just dont know if they are still in stock or how long it would take to actually receive them. hooks take a very long time to get shipped out. so good luck

you say you couldnt find the sixth finger scissors on ebay. here they are on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tying-Scissors-that-never-leave-your-hand-FFS-Sixth-Finger-Tying-Snips-/161610996362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a0c41a8a

I also like to tie with scissors in hand. When I started tying many years ago Herter's sold a pair of scissors with larger than normal finger loops which I still have btw. A while back I was looking for a new pair of scissors of course none of the ones I found had large enough loops for even my small hands. I happen to find a pair at WalMart that said titanium coated and they had a rubbery plastic finger loops so for about $5 I bought them. I took a pair of side cutters and split the loops and they worked like a charm.