Fly Tying
Jacktown

Tying flies with minimal materials

I have just started fly tying and am pretty good. I only have have foam, rooster hackle, little chenille, string and rubber legs. I have all the equipment I need. I have tied gurglers, a few poppers from flip flops, and chernobyl ants. Does anyone no of any other flies I could tie with just These materials?

Presuming you have thread as well you could tie dry flies in every colour version you have. Tale from a large rooster hackle, Body of thread Hackle with the smaller hackle.

You can tie a simple foam beetle with just thread and foam, add rubber legs if you feel the need.

Wet flies in all the colour variations of hackle and thread you have.

Dry fly hackles are wound so they stand out from the hook shank at as close to 90 degrees as you can achieve. Wet fly hackles use much less hackle and slope back from the eye at 60 to 45 degrees, and are much sparser.

It would be worth your while scouting around for things you can use for materials around your home. Sewing thread is often too thick for use as tying thread, but makes good coloured floss. Wool can be used as tails, wound as bodies, or shredded and used as dubbing. Even the lint from a clothes dryer can be used as dubbing. Bungee cord contains tons of round rubber for legs. Some sports shoe laces contain a poly yarn that makes good wings and is buoyant. Crisp (chip) packets are made of Mylar and can be cut into strips for tinsel bodies. The possibilities are endless.

Cheers,

C.

If you have some fairly long pieces of hackle you can't really use in your dry flies you could tie the original Matuka Streamer using just them and Chenelle. Today they have all sorts of glorious patterns of this streamer but the original was very simple, three materials required really, the Chenelle, the hackle and thread. you could add copper wire if you could find some thin enough.. At youtube there is a 2 minute video showing tying a Yellow Matuka, even he uses more than is needed to tie one though.

Although I've never tied one, it sounds like you have all the makings for Wooly Buggers. You'll need something for weight if you want to get it down deep, but not if you want a shallow running bug.

If you spend some time shaping the flip flop foam, you could make some slider patterns, rather than poppers.

I tie a lot of flies with non-conventional materials, too. I am eager to see some pictures of the flies you've made so far!

Foam Humpies are also a possibility. Tail of hackle fibers, body of thread, a thin foam strip pulled over the back, and hackle. Hackle tip wings are optional. You can make them as big or as small as your hooks allow.

Joe

Go to Hobby Lobby and buy one sheet of 2mm yellow craft foam for about a buck. Cut a strip about the width of the size 10 hook gap you are using. Cut one end to a point and tie into the rear of hook then gently pull it toward the hook eye after bringing the thread to about 2 hook eye widths from the eye and tie the foam down to the hook. Cut the foam of square about 1 or 2 hook eyes forward of the eye just like a gurgler. Then add legs to both sides of the hook and you have great sunfish bug for cheap, simple, and quick.

I agree that foam is one last thing you should add. I got a big block with 3 or 4 sheets of a variety of different colors from Walmart, and they work fine. Yes you can tie wooly buggers (chenille body, hackle palmered), a few hairs from your dog's tail as a tail.

With foam you can tie lots of things like hoppers, etc. Just go through the database and pick out your choices.

Although I've never tied one, it sounds like you have all the makings for Wooly Buggers. You'll need something for weight if you want to get it down deep, but not if you want a shallow running bug.

If you spend some time shaping the flip flop foam, you could make some slider patterns, rather than poppers.

I tie a lot of flies with non-conventional materials, too. I am eager to see some pictures of the flies you've made so far!

Mike, he needs something for a tail on the Wooly Buggers, either rabbit fibers or the traditional tail made with marabou . That's why I suggested the Matuka, the trailing feather is the tail on those. The OP indicated tying with just what he had on hand for materials.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I tied some humpies and they look awsome. I can't wait to try them out

Mike, he needs something for a tail on the Wooly Buggers, either rabbit fibers or the traditional tail made with marabou . That's why I suggested the Matuka, the trailing feather is the tail on those. The OP indicated tying with just what he had on hand for materials.

Dave he could use the rubber legs for the tail, take a page out of the conventional fishers handbook. Grab a clump and tie it on the back. Assuming he has enough of the legs. It may not be as effective for trout and other finicky species, but with the patterns he's suggested, it sound like bass or big panfish, and i doubt they'll care if its rubber or marabou.

Tie some Pats Rubber legs. Tail is two rubber leg strands, body is chenille (yarn works just a well,) Legs are rubber legs. Weight with lead wire if you have it, or use copper wire (two layers,) You should be able to collect some copper wire from and old electrical cord.

Thread all by itself will make many patterns. Thread midges are nothing but thread. Use a strand of fine wire for a rib. Add a bit of fuzz for a thicker thorax. Coat thread with nail polish, for tails and legs.

Use some hackle fiber for tails, and simply wrap a layer of yarn up the hook. Tie off and you have a workable nymph.

wooly buggers dont always need marabou for the tail

try using the fluff from the butt ends of the feathers you already have